should i go for $899 unopened 2010 MBA?

hbsgay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
1,86G duo core, Nvidia video card, 256GB ssd, 2GB memory:mad:
my university bookstore sells it for 899, unopened, should I go for it?
THX!

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I would not. The 2GB RAM cannot be upgraded, so that right there is a pretty limiting factor going forward. Plus, the latest gen is just a much better machine than the core 2 duos.

If money is tight, consider the 11" MBA (current version). Otherwise, sit tight and wait for the next gen MBA and wait for the prices to drop on the current gen.

Comment

hbsgay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I would not. The 2GB RAM cannot be upgraded, so that right there is a pretty limiting factor going forward. Plus, the latest gen is just a much better machine than the core 2 duos.

If money is tight, consider the 11" MBA (current version). Otherwise, sit tight and wait for the next gen MBA and wait for the prices to drop on the current gen.
Thank you!
I'll "sit tight";)
using 2009 macbook pro, (upgraded to 8g memory+320gb 7200rpm) I guess i can wait for the next gen.

Comment

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The 2GB ram limit is a big no no, especially with today's software. It is a very limiting factor of the MBA.
Has not limited me. And I run parallels.

I do agree 4GB is better...but I'd wait for the new MBA. Also the Macbooks are getting thinner so they may also become the better purchase.

Comment

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
People over-exaggerate how limiting 2 GB really is. I have a 2GB 2010 MBA and its perfectly fine for just normal use. I run iTunes, a lot of tabs of Safari, and Word at the same time and never beach ball. Of course if you are going to be doing something more intensive then 4GB is paramount, but considering OP didnt mention what he was going to do with the machine...

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Offer 800 straight up for it, if they agree great, if not wait for the newer models.

Comment