Should I go for a Mac trade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazydrumma, Mar 12, 2008.

1. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Alright, I have a big decision to make right now about computers. My roommate owns a 24 inch iMac, with a 2.33 ghz processor, 2 gb of ram, a 500 gb hard drive. I'm not sure what kind of video card it has. He also has a gateway laptop that's around 2 years old. He is going to be getting married this summer, and afterwards traveling to India to do missionary work. Before this, he will be traveling to gain support for missions, and he really wants a reliable laptop. However, he still wants a good mac laptop to use. I got a macbook this past November, with a 2.2 ghz processor, 2 gb of ram, and a 160 gb hard drive. I put in some extra ram as well. He wants to know if I would trade my macbook for both his iMac and his gateway laptop. I only bought a laptop so I could take it to class with me and take notes, or use it at starbucks for the web, etc. So, his gateway laptop would fit these needs well. I also do a lot of graphic design and video, along with music recording, and his iMac would be great for that. I see no downside to this trade except this: I have applecare for my laptop, but he does not have applecare for his Mac, and it's a little over a year old. Should I trade? It seems great, except for the applecare. Then again, the iMac would be sitting on my desk, so there wouldn't be much wear and tear... I don't know. Advice would be great.

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'd say it's a good trade. You can maybe sell the Gateway and use that money plus some of your own to get another MB or even a Powerbook or iBook, if you still want a Mac laptop. Go for it, IMO.

3. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

that's a GREAT trate. i'd do that, no prob.
    does he have the new alluminum mac?