Should I go for air or pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aamirgigani, May 5, 2012.

1. aamirgigani macrumors newbie

I am very tempted to buy a Mac Mini as my main everyday desktop, but I was thinking is it good at the following Or Should I go for the imac.

-Web Browsing
    -Running Virtual Machines (Windows and Linux guests)
    -Programming (Ios and android app programming)
    -Gaming (Fifa 12 and Gta San Andreas)

Will the Base model of the mac mini suffice for me or Should i go for the pro version.

2. Bensalama21 macrumors regular

Do you want a built in optical drive? If you do, get a pro. Otherwise, get an air.

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Macbook Pro for memory and easy HDD -> SSD upgrades.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

5. aamirgigani thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys thank for your replies.Will the base macbook Pro model suffice my needs?

6. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

To be honest I would go with base model 21.5inch iMac. That will fit your needs more than enough and last you longer.

It has quad core i5 cpu, a good graphics card instead of the standalone integrated gpu in the mini (which isn't that good). A beautiful 1080p display.

And I would suggest using bootcamp when running windows.

But the base model iMac is double the price of the mini. So take that into consideration.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Do you have a decent screen, keyboard and mouse? If not the go for the iMac (if your budget will stretch). If you already have all of those you could go for a top of the line Mini.

8. RobinHood5 macrumors regular

Well, from what you've said you need it sounds like a iMac is what you need. The MBP is known to get VERY hot when playing games. You just get so much more with an iMac, a 21" 1080p screen, it has a much better graphics than the MBP or Mac mini. Also, you get a bigger HDD standard with iMac. Go iMac, the base 13" or 15" MBP really wouldn't be acceptable for gaming, they don't have the cooling capabilities.

9. RobinHood5 macrumors regular

Yeah, it's twice as much but if you don't have a screen the ACD is a thousand bucks. Im getting an iMac but if I already had $400+ screen or something I'd prob get a mini. Idk.

10. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I have both an iMac and MBP and honestly I prefer my MBP. There has yet to be anything that I have thrown at my MBP that it couldn't do. I upgraded it with 8GB of RAM and a 240GB SSD with 750GB external HDD hooked up to a 27" ACD and I love the setup I hardly use my iMac anymore. The best part is when you need to take your work or what not with you, just unplug your peripherals and boom your all set to go!

11. aamirgigani thread starter macrumors newbie

So I have decided to go for the mac mini as I have monitor and keyboard.
    Should I go for the base model or the higher end i5 one?