Should i go for iMac "20?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by enix3k, May 4, 2008.

1. enix3k macrumors newbie

Hi, i have since last year owned a MacBook, but i realise that i need more power, and a desktop would be damn nice.

Since i don't have a huge budget and im a student, im going to sell my MacBook and then save up some cash and then buy a iMac "20 in the end of May.

I need however your opinnions first.

You might ask what im going to use it for? Well im atm learning to code in xcode and stuff and would also love to do some 3d rendering and perhaps a bit Unity3d work. Im also into photo a bit, but not in a proffesional way.

My current MacBook is: C2D 2.0GHz, 2gb ram, 80gb hdd, combodrive, gma950, osx tiger (white).

The iMac "20 im looking at is a: C2D 2.66GHz, 2gb ram, 320gb hdd, superdrive, hd2600pro.

Im not gaming so much on my Mac, i leave that to my ps3, 360 and wii :)
    So gaming capabilities doesn't bother me much.
    Another reason i want to get rid of my MacBook is probably the heat issue and that it makes alot of noise if i open up lets say a flash website.

So what are your thoughts?
    Should i sell my MacBook and go for the iMac "20 or not?

And don't worry about the laptop issue in school, every student in my school gets a HP laptop with windoze (however i trashed that out and put in latest ubuntu instead, works flawless!).

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The iMac is a sweet machine - I spend quite a bit of time at work on a 20" iMac and find it a pleasure to use. If you really don't need the portability of a laptop it'll serve you very well...

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

iMac is a brilliant machine.. i have a few 20 inches in the office for a few of the office-based staff.. i got them the other day, penryns, loaded them with XP on bootcamp and domain-joined them.. the staff are loving them...

i hope these machines last long.. they appear to be very good...

4. enix3k thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the opinnions, i think i'll go with the iMac! :)

Even though im not into gaming on the Macs, the only game-related i might would do on it (under XP with bootcamp) would be to do some Hammer editing (Half-Life2), is that going to work well with HD2600PRO?

Last time i did was when i was into PC's instead of Macs, and i remember i had a 6800GT to play with it, and it ran fine. Will the HD2600PRO work for this too?