Should I go for more ram or SSD capacity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnonymousDuck, Nov 6, 2016.

?

16 GB RAM or 512 SSD?

1. 16 GB RAM

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. 512 GB SSD

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. AnonymousDuck macrumors newbie

I've decided to upgrade and buy a the 2016 mbp. I've got enough to be able to afford the touchbar version along with one of the mentioned upgrades. Where I live the jump from 256gb to 512gb for the SSD costs 200 euros, whereas the RAM upgrade from 8gb to 16gb costs 240 euros.

I use, on a very frequent basis, adobe cc software with an emphasis on photoshop, flash and illustrator, but I'm also teaching myself how to use the others more and I'm therefore using them increasingly. I also use Xcode just as frequently, Logic Pro X and have a tendency to multitask a lot, and have the tendency to keep quite a few tabs open simultaneously open on chrome.

I don't currently use any of this software for academic purposes or professionally as in literally every single day, but as a hobby, personal interest, may be useless to say relative to the nature of the question but use a blend of adobe and Xcode and other for a startup I'm trying to get going centered around an app.

Furthermore, even do I do have and use external HDDs I travel a lot, so prefer storing the majority of my files locally, including but not limited to, Xcode projects; photoshop,dreamweaver, flash (etc.) projects , photos, songs (not so many stored locally)........

I side-tracked but back to the question, should I go for 512 SSD at the price of 200 euros or 16gb of ram over 8gb at the price of 240 euros, kwowing I really have now room for pushing my budget more?

Thanks and sorry for the messy post!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

For the usage you listed, 8GB RAM is probably enough. You also stated that you'd prefer to store everything locally instead of on an external.

Sounds like you've nearly answered your own question!

3. AnonymousDuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah hahah, I guess I did, just really scared of making the wrong choice as can't really change it later on, it's kind of a last round verification for me I guess asking it.

4. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

I go for the extra RAM, although you don't prefer to use external storage it's always an option, if you go with 8GB of RAM and then find you need more you can't "add" it at a later date.

If you don't want to take an external drive with you have you considered cloud storage for some files??

5. wegster macrumors 6502

I'd go RAM as there is zero opportunity to upgrade it later, while there are at least a few options for added storage - external, a used Apple SSD, or potentially third party.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

It'd stick with the bigger SSD.

The consequence of exceeding your RAM is that Mac OS X will temporarily use some space on your SSD as "virtual RAM". With the speed of the SSD drive in these new Macs, I don't think that's going to bring your computer to a crawl, like it used to do back in the non-SSD days.

7. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

I say go for the RAM. The RAM is not upgradable once it leaves the factory, but it appears that the SSD is at the least removeable at the moment. I don't think anyone is making them yet, but down the line it will probably happen. At least you have the possibility to get both at some point.

And you can always connect to more storage, no one is connecting more RAM.

8. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Neither might be a good option, if your $$$ is limited, what's the chance of waiting until the next revision? Following earlier Apple pattern, it should drop in price probably $150 or $200. That would free you up to buy both the upgraded RAM and a decent SSD. This is a super new product type release, unless you have cash to spare, it isn't really a good release to buy.

BTW, for comparison, you should take a look at the Samsung 960's pricing. Apple uses the Sandisk version of that in the non TouchBar releases so far, but it'll give you a good idea on prices. With this release, I do not think they're overcharging for the RAM or SSD upgrade. So maybe just go for the extra 200 Euro and get both. I didn't spend the extra $300 3 years ago for my MacBook Air 2013, and it was a decision I regretted for years after keep running out of storage.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

April 2015 I bought my 13" rMBP with the 3.1GHz i7, 16GB RAM and the 512GB SSD. I don't regret spending the extra money(although I could have saved $200 by skipping the i7 if I hadn't been in such a hurry.)

My point is that if you can swing the extra, get both. If you can't, and your usage doesn't seem to be changing, go with the bigger SSD. 8GB is plenty for your stated usage.

10. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

I would go for the RAM upgrade because there is no way to change that. You can always add external storage and I'm sure some Ifixit Gurus will find a way to replace the SSD.

11. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

People seem to be basing their decision on the now.... imo if you are looking to spend this amount of money on the laptop then going for the RAM is the obvious choice, sure 8GB might just be enough now but what about 2, 3 or even 4 years from now? Storage capacity can be increased in several other ways, RAM will be whatever you choose until you replace the entire laptop, it really is a no brainier. Sure we would prefer not to be limited by our financial constraints and take both upgrades but if it's a case of one over the other RAM is the logical choice.