Should I go Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WordLife565, Jul 9, 2011.

1. WordLife565 macrumors regular

I'm buying a new MacBook for college in a couple weeks, and i'm wondering whether I should go Pro or not.

I mean, looking at the MacBook, i'd be paying 900 bucks for an old processor, a 250 GB HD (big enough for me, but still, it's a 900 dollar machine), and 2 gigs of ram.

But on the other hand, I could save 200 bucks, and i'm not sure I really need the extra power of the pro.

However now i'm starting to realize, that I might as well bone up the extra 200, because i'd be overpaying for old hardware with the MacBook.

Anyone here could help me out? Should I spend the extra 200 on the pro? or save my money?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Asking other people how your money should be spent is stupid. Decide for yourself whether or not $200 in your savings account is better than a MBP.

3. WordLife565 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not that simple.

I'm wondering whether it's a waste of my time and money to get a baseline 13" MB, instead of just spending the extra money and getting a newly updated system.

I'm willing to spend the money if it's worth it. But since most people on here know a lot more about Apple products than me, I thought I'd ask.

I just want input, i'm not asking you to make my decision.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Buy the pro; better processor, more ram, faster ram, bigger hd, sd reader, backlit keyboard...not to even mention it's got an Al body.

5. sketdansu macrumors member

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How are we supposed to tell if it's "worth it"? You don't provide any helpful information that would give us an idea. What do you use your computer for?

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If you're someone who can afford to spend $900 on a laptop, then it's worth it to get the Pro. It has much better components, better build quality, and will have a better resale value when it's time to upgrade.

8. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

go pro man, you wont regret it.

since you will be spending a lot anyway, put that 200 bucks in.

9. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Go with pro. If you haven't used any aluminum unibody laptops, I guarantee you that it will feel great, and looks stunning :)

10. MacManD macrumors newbie

Go Pro! You won't regret it. And with the Thunderbolt port you'll feel left behind if that floats as well as everyone is expecting.

11. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

The MBP is faster, has a better screen, will have a better resale value and is more future proof.

And it's beautiful - I don't really like the MB with its plastic body.

If you have the $200 - why not get yourself something really nice instead of something basic (it's still a lot of money you pay for a MB).

12. blackbinary macrumors member

The question is, would you like a new computer, or one that is a year old?
    If you phrase it like that, its obvious.

Some people go ahead and buy them, but your just buying expensive outdated technology. If your dropping $1000+ for a laptop, why not make it a decent one?

Even if you just need to wait until the next Macbooks are out (unless they are cut for the air).

13. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

It may also as well be that the price of the outdated MacBook will drop before it'll get discontinued.

14. WordLife565 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thanks. Just got back from the Apple store, and was completely convinced that the Pro was better for me, gonna go back and buy it there next week.