Should I go refurbished?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by greenn17h, Jan 7, 2009.

1. greenn17h macrumors newbie

What's everyone's opinion on getting a refurbished aluminum MacBook? Do people generally have good luck with refurbished hardware? Would I even know it wasn't new if I didn't know? (if that makes any sense) This would be my first Mac. Thanks.

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

If you don't mind always having the latest then it's great I love refurb products, yous till get the full warranty, you may get alittle scratch here or there sometimes, but no huge dents or anything (generally speaking) and some peopel even argue they go thru better Quality control and checks since it gets checked before resold as a refurb

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I would definitely choose refurbished over new.

4. stevo8 macrumors 6502

5. Benchmob31 macrumors member

Benchmob31

I just purchased a refurbished MacMini today. Since they didnt release a new one at Macworld and I really wanted to "make the switch" I figured refurbished was the next best thing. I got a really good price plus the full warenty. We will see how I feel when it gets here. Im sure it will be good.

6. stevo8 macrumors 6502

Youll enjoy it and the best thing is, is that they have better resale then most companies stuff which means when the new one does come out youll be ready to upgrade seamlessly and not loose a ton of money.

7. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

no doubt it's a good purchase. I've purchased 4 refurbished macs over the years. All as good as new. There are other options, but if you don't mind the lack of fancy packaging, the refurbs are the way to go.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

... let some one else take the depreciation hit:cool:

9. brendalana macrumors newbie

brendalana

Should I go refurbished?

Courtesy 2009-01-08 NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/technology/personaltech/08pogue.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&th&emc=th

(SNIP)

BUY REFURBISHED COMPUTERS You can find refurbished computers and other electronic gear advertised on the makers’ Web sites, offered at hundreds of dollars below retail price — but you’d never buy one, right? After all, who wants a used computer?

Actually, though, “refurbished” doesn’t mean used; it usually means “returned, sometimes without even having been opened.” Products are returned for lots of reasons. People change their minds, get the same product as a gift, whatever.

In any case, a refurbished machine has been brought up to brand-new standards by the manufacturer — and, in fact, is inspected and tested more than a brand-new item. Aficionados consider refurbished gear one of the great secrets of the tech world. The sacrifice: Some companies, like Hewlett-Packard, issue a shorter warranty on them (90 days instead of a year). The savings: On a computer, from $300 to $2,000.

(SNIP)

E-mail: pogue@nytimes.com.

10. Benchmob31 macrumors member

Benchmob31

And the beauty of Apple is that they offer the same as new warrenty and you can also purchase Applecare as well. I saved $100 off retail on my mac mini and that is way better then any online outlet could save me for the same model.

11. ukmacpro macrumors member

My last two Macs have been refurbished from Apple, and I've never had a single problem with them. Plus they come with a full years warranty, something you won't get from eBay!

12. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I have purchased two refurbs and both of them were in perfect condition, cosmetically and otherwise. Usually though if I can get the teacher discount (my gf) I go that route. I like that new laptop smell.

13. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I switched the family over to Mac via the 2007 Black Friday sale, which that year was a week later in the UK. Saved some money, but when I wanted to switch for my work notebook, I saved a substantially larger amount buying a BlackBook [almost 30%] from the refurb store.

Buying a refurb is worth it AS LONG as you're familiar with the product. For instance, with MacBooks, sometimes there are several different generations available. The price differential is minimal, but the internal spec is significantly more advanced (i.e. motherboard speed[system chipset], RAM speed). So research the model history of the product you require and only buy the best one for the job [normally the most recent previous generation].

Sorry to go on, but a good example is the MacBook Air. The first version is now priced very low, but I wouldn't buy one. If the current generation started turning up in the refurb store when I was in the market, I would snap it up.

P.S. Though the packaging was a dull brown box, my product still smelt brand new and I've had no problems with it.

14. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Haha. I forgot about the plain brown box. The unboxing is a big advantage when you buy new.:D

15. nyprospect macrumors 6502

I'm on a refurb now.Apple has the very best refurb items i have ever seen.If they put them in new boxes you would have no clue.I have purchased other items refurbished and got bonuses like the smell of the previous owner and their fingerprints.Apple sends you an item that looks clean and brand new and not smell of cheap windex.Go refurb.

16. bennyboyt macrumors member

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can tell by the specifications. With the Macbook Pros the last generation have 8600GT graphics cards and the newer ones should have 9600GT listed when they are on the refrub store.

18. bennyboyt macrumors member

cheers bud

19. leishan macrumors 6502

Almost all of the Macs in my house are refurbs-I have never had any issues with them.

20. fatalist macrumors newbie

And Canada too?

Is refurb available outside the US?

Does Apple Canada offer refurbs?

21. AZ-GT macrumors member

22. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yes they do http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTE3NjY

i've bought from the Apple Canada refurb store in the past, a mac pro 2.8 and it was awesome. Great savings, like new computer.

I actually just purchased a refurb macbook air tonight as well :D so as you can see, I don't hesitate on refurbs because they are great deals

23. gjw4u macrumors 6502

If you find a refurb Mac you like, I suggest you buy it, as you get to save $$$, but still get the full Apple warranty.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My uncle has a refurb iMac, I have a refurb iPhone, my sister has a refurb iPod shuffle. No problems with any of them (as far as the refurb process). I saved $150 on my iPhone that way (when they were $400), so I'm a HUGE believer in refurbs.

25. tingly macrumors 6502

To know what model a refurb is, look at its URL.
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB402B/A
    FB402B/A is the model number. Replace the F with an M and there's the original model number. If an M is already there, ignore the F.