Should I go Stick with my iMac 27" Core i3

Discussion in 'iMac' started by austinlallen, Jul 31, 2011.

1. austinlallen macrumors member

Hi!!

I'm thinking about getting rid of my iMac 27" Core i3 and going with a core i7 pc do you think its a good idea or should i stick with my iMac

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I would take a slow Mac over a fast windows box any day.....

It's a personal decision obviously!

3. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

why is that i just want some performance that an intel core i3 don't suite me and i cannot afford an iMac core i5 or i7

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'll take fast over slow any day, don't care who makes the box. :p

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Your iMac is already about twice as fast as my MBP and mini, and they are used daily.

If you have no vested loyalty in OSX, then sell and get the windows box.

If you post what you do with it people might be able to tell you how much real world gain you will have.... But in the end, you are the one sitting there using the machine, and it's your money not ours.....

6. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

Well what about upgradability that the iMac don't have that a windows box does

I am a big fan of apple but when it comes to these things as far as performance
    and upgradability

But do you think An iMac core i3 is faster than a Pc with a Core i7
    Thanks

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

8. simsaladimbamba

Get rid of the iMac immediately, it is now worth less than 100 USD and will be obsolete by the year's end, when Apple makes Lion only be able to run on i7 Macs.

9. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

really it really will be obsolete by the end of the year???

10. sumone macrumors regular

Good point!

Agreed. I think that if speed is what you need then go for a more affordable PC that will meet your needs. I don't get the vested loyalty in products. I buy my computer products based on my needs and affordability and not the name or logo attached to it.

11. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

yeah i agree macs are just soooo expensive mostly to go for an i7 I'm thinking about going with a dell studio xps

thanks for your comment

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

By vested I meant in software.... It would very expensive for me to duplicate my software on a PC at the moment. That is something I'd have to factor into switching back to windows, others might not have that issue to consider.

13. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

well thats not the problem thanks anyway

my problem is performance, upgradability, and budget

14. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I hope you don't mind me asking, but exactly why did you buy an iMac in the first place?

15. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

well i have been using a emac g4 for a while and when i got cash i bought an iMac core i3 and then after a while they quit selling the core i3s and after a while I've became a light gamer and done more video editing that my iMac can't handle the i3 and i want to upgrade my computer once in a while and simply which the iMac just cannot do it

16. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

If it bugs you that there is a faster processor out there than the one currently in your computer even though it was unavailable when you made your purchase and even though your computer still works as well now as it did when there were no better chips available..

I suggest you buy a pc box and upgrade your own chips every six months or so. Next year there will be an intel chip announced that makes the i7 look like a snail on ice. You will need to switch out your i7 then. And Apple definitely does not update their product line often enough to keep you happy with the latest best performing chips on a regular basis, they are more geared to be capable workhorses than spec'd to play the newest version of >insert graphics and processor intensive game title here<.:)

17. austinlallen thread starter macrumors member

well if i went with an i5 processor could i still upgrade ti the future intel

the better question is should i consider selling my iMac core i3and going to a more upgradable friendly desktop???

18. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

You seem to feel the need for processor upgradeablity, in which case either a Mac Pro or a pc box is your best bet. I assume that you are aware of the cost and labor involved in upgrading cpu's, and the related hardware compatibility issues frequently needing to be addressed... but honestly I don't think you even completely understand the answer to the question you are asking or you wouldn't be asking....

Correct me if I'm wrong~:)

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Stick with iMac and build your own PC, and then connect it using iMac as target display mode (you must be own pre-thunderbolt iMac, right?)

So you can enjoy both world still without sacrificing too much. iMac i3's value is considerably low today. so selling out your Mac won't do much, and you lose your Mac already after.

With target display, you may get the best of both world ... hmm, sort of :D . The only drawback is that you can only do 720p resolution on Target Display mode :(

20. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Defiantly not...maybe in 5 years...technology progresses so fast theres always going to be faster processors...obsolete in 5 years...for your work it may be sooner i don't know how much processor intensive stuff you do..if you do a lot then by all means go for an i7 pc but if the i3 is fine for you now it will be fine for you for AT LEAST two more years because processors don't lose speed over the years...

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If you really want to use a PC so you can easily upgrade components one by one, then for sure do NOT buy a Dell. Build your own from the ground up.

Good luck getting a Dell to work correctly with an upgraded processor. The motherboard BIOS may be locked to a specific processor or processor family and there's no way Dell will support a modified machine. And likely you won't be able to fit a new, non-Dell motherboard into the case if you want to swap that some day, too.

You're better off building your own.

That said, people use Macs for more than just the hardware it contains. For many, Mac OS X is a superior way of getting things done. If that doesn't interest you, and all you care about is bang for the buck and can tolerate Windows - or high-level gaming is now a priority - then no one is stopping you.

Or, add some RAM to your iMac and enjoy it. The i3 isn't a professional-level processor but it's perfectly sufficient for day-to-day desktop duties.