Should I go To the genius AGAIN?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleguy123, Aug 11, 2009.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

okay i have been to the genius so much that they are beginning to remember me (and making remarks like this iphone is your life and aren't you here a lot?) The first time this month i brough a 3g in for a crack by the dock. the second time i brought it in for watch i thought was bad battery life. Now my replacement 3gS had some bad pixels so i ran the bad pixel fixer GIF and let it run overnight. When i woke up the iphone was about 80 degrees Celsius and 60% charge (it was plugged in to the usb). Now it will charge up really fast (0% to full in 1.5 hours) and drain just as fast (maybe 3 hours tops). Now should i go to the genius bar again? It's getting awkward.

2. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

i think you care too much about what some stranger might think of you, if your phone doesnt work like it should you should get it fixed or replaced

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

did anything i said i did in the post void the warrantee?
    Why?

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

yep

if your not happy go visit them see what they say. it does sound like a issue worth going for. One upgrade I love to see apple to is too allow us too easily switch or change the battery. ;) I know never happen. :rolleyes:but one upgrade I would be happy with.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He doesn't have OCD wHen his phone is 80 degrees celcius! That thing is fried. Take it back!

7. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

If your phone was 80*C, something would have fried. It most likely wouldn't be working. If it's 80*C on the outside, it's likely a little bit more inside.

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Did i void my warrantee by doing this? Im used to farenheight( i can't spell it and celsius is more known) and i may have exagerated by doing the math in my head I checked the actual formula (9/5*X+32) and maybe we are talking closer to 60 degrees celsius.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The iPhone must get much hotter before damage is possible. A warning will display and the CPU will shutdown until it returns to sub-130F.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Still pretty hot... halfway past boiling point. 60 celsius is still pretty hot. My 15" MBP runs to about 50 celsius before heavy fans kick in. And that was playing Crysis at medium/high settings for 5 hours...

11. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Even if it was 60*C, that's still way above Apples temp range for operation. I would go to the Apple store, tell them that you had it plugged it and noticed it was getting hot. See what they say. It's certainly not your fault that the phone didn't charge correctly with their own provided hardware.

I've recorded mine getting to about 88*F on the rear of the phone while charging. I didn't do it the most scientific way, but my method would have leaned toward the lower side of the actual temperature. I've though about going back to the Apple store, but I don't want to go get another phone, restore, etc again.

12. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I start school in 9 days and while i don't NEED a phone necessarily I know this battery will not even last 7 hours in stand by. Is there any way i can do a mail in replacement from apple even though there are stores near me, because the genisus that somehow i always see is starting to get rude....

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

call Apple

customer service explain the situation and that you feel the genius are being rude and go from there be prepared to give them examples of there rudeness. also is there another apple store a few more miles away maybe go there. from what you describe I don't see where you are being OCD except maybe the one pixel but they never even saw that issue.

14. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

The pixel was just annoying and it didn't fix it after all the heat and everything :( I would not consider telling Apple about some dead pixels.