Should I Go To The Genius Bar Or Not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook41, Feb 7, 2008.

1. macbook41 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook that is over a year old. I don't have the Apple extended warranty and the warranty that came with the comp. is expired. I recently noticed that where my right palm rests on the comp. is cracked. I want to take it in to get it fixed as well as have them look at the comp as a whole. Sometimes my comp. doesn't even turn on, instead I get a blinking light with nothing on the screen. I want to take it in however I have some songs and programs on their that I acquired on the backside if you know what I mean;) Anyway, if I take the computer in is there a chance the geniuses will say anything or report me?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No. There is however, a very high chance they won't do anything because it's out of warranty. You'll have to pay for repairs.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Unless they have to open a repair ticket, there is no problem. If they have to take it in the back, then the open a ticket, then they may charge you for the work.

TEG

4. macbook41 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I will have to pay for the repairs which suck, hopefully it won't be too much $. I'm just worried about them seeing what is on their and erasing something or reporting it.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

haha, have you had repairs done through Apple before?

They won't. You should do a backup before you give your machine in though.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Typically they don't care about the data contained on your computer, unless it's some app that are causing the problem, but they are not going to check the serials of the apps. Well if it's child p0rn, and they stumble onto it, then yes they might report you.

Their job is to diagnose and fix problems, not as software police.

You should back up your data though.

7. macbook41 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been before. Actually for the same cracked keyboard issue which they fixed for free because I was within a year. I purchased the case he recommended and you see where that got me. I will back up everything and fork of the $ to get it fixed.

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

i very much doubt the geniuses have never illegally acquired something as well
    dont worry, they wont care :D

9. macbook41 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea...definitely no kiddie stuff on there lol. Just don't want them to call the Adobe police on me ya know?

10. tip macrumors 6502

tip

They typically don't check your licenses.

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They don't care. How would they know you 'borrowed' some Adobe software.

TEG

12. DanBUK macrumors regular

In my experience they are cool with it. Although I did worry after I posted my 2yr old 30Gb ipod back after the HD was playing up. It was loaded and I am not sure I would have been able to locate the original CDs for some of the songs. If you know what I mean.;)

13. macbook41 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Just made my appointment for tomorrow. If anything happens I'll use my one call to phone MacRumors: Forums!