Should I go with the 4G or the 8G Nano

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IIplus1983, Nov 16, 2007.

1. IIplus1983 macrumors newbie

This iPod would be a successor to my 2nd Gen white 20G model. My needs are fairly basic, or at least my usage has been. I would like something that I can use in the gym, would probably fill with about 2 G of music. I don't want to spend the extra $50 for the 8 G model unless I have to.

Have those of you that upgraded to an iPod model with graphics/color screen found yourselves uploading a lot more content (particularly photos, video, etc.)?

If I am going to discover a whole new memory-hogging world of content, then better to fork over the money now rather than upgrade again.

Also, any pointers on where to buy a new one cheap appreciated. Thanks!

2. lallenlowe macrumors member

8g

you WILL want more space. At first you think it'll be fine, but in a few months, you'll find yourself doing so much content juggling that it's frustrating. 50 aint much more

lallenlowe

3. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

4. Sayewhat macrumors member

If you are going cheap and only using it for the gym, why not get a Shuffle? Are you really going to watch a movie/videos or flip through pictures while running or lifting? I had a 20g before and decided to switch to a cheap Shuffle for that reason. I'm sure you can get it cheaper off fleabay for $50.

5. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Shuffle?? I don't think so;)

6. IIplus1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Follow-up to the posters ---

Okay, so I want to understand how realistic the content juggling might be. How many episodes of let's say, The Office or House (only shows I watch) can I realistically store on the 4G or 8G, despite the factory specs?

Also, regarding aesthetics, who likes what color? And is blue or green a bit too feminine for a guy? Does the black model provide better contrast for video? Please weigh in...

7. Sayewhat macrumors member

True, but if it's for gym use, 2g's is around 30 hours of constant music. Talk about working out until fatigue burnout. :D

I change mine every week, not a big deal to sync up new tunes to workout to. Plus I still have my 20g to listen to in the vehicle.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Shows take up quite a lot of space, about 500 MB each. The problem is (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), it seems like the full size episode gets copied to the ipod. So a resolution that would look great on an imac is copied to a tiny screen. Obviously some sort of formatting for ipod use would be better (and you can use 3rd party programs to achieve this, but it's time consuming, and then both sizes would live on your mac), but it doesn't happen.

As far as aesthetics go - methinks there's no question that apple had the fairer sex in mind when picking this round of nano (and shuffle) colors. ;) That said, even the blue and green nanos are neutral enough that they don't scream "girly! girly!" And perhaps more to the point... get what you like. I don't think anyone will judge you by the color of your ipod, and if they do, then screw 'em. :)

My suggestion is to get the 8 GB. I faced the same decision when getting my iphone, 5 months ago. At the time I had about 300 MB free on my 4 GB 1st Gen nano, but I got the bigger iphone. Definitely the right choice - I'm now down to 100 MB free on the nano, despite taking off all my pictures. And I don't even keep video on my iphone permanently.

Besides - you can't get any color but silver on the 4 GB version. :)