Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
So this local shop sells the next hours the base iMac Pro at 4600 euro. Apple wants 5500. I know that tomorrow might bring a new model. Thing is I want 32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD. With the discount the Pro competes with a mini or a the iMac 2019 given the display, GPU and peripherals. The non adjustable screen height troubles me though. There also is no return policy.

What would you do?

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
I'm not sure what the question is? Are you asking us if you should wait until tomorrow to find out the announcement?

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
So this local shop sells the next hours the base iMac Pro at 4600 euro. Apple wants 5500. I know that tomorrow might bring a new model. Thing is I want 32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD. With the discount the Pro competes with a mini or a the iMac 2019 given the display, GPU and peripherals. The non adjustable screen height troubles me though. There also is no return policy.

What would you do?

There are no new Xeon-W CPUs for Apple to update the iMac Pro with at this time and there won’t be until this Fall (Q4). Even then, these CPUs may not work in the iMac Pro depending on their TDP.

Given the other caveats, including no return policy, if you aren’t 100% sure you can live with and love the iMac Pro, then you should pass. Tech always changes, so if you’re chasing the next thing, the iMac Pro won’t necessarily scratch that itch. Just my 2¢.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
There are no new Xeon-W CPUs for Apple to update the iMac Pro with at this time and there won’t be until this Fall (Q4). Even then, these CPUs may not work in the iMac Pro depending on their TDP.

Given the other caveats, including no return policy, if you aren’t 100% sure you can live with and love the iMac Pro, then you should pass. Tech always changes, so if you’re chasing the next thing, the iMac Pro won’t necessarily scratch that itch. Just my 2¢.
So you think there will not be an update. I dig the device. I am behind the computer like 12 hours a day so it scares me that the screen height can not be changed.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
So you think there will not be an update. I dig the device. I am behind the computer like 12 hours a day so it scares me that the screen height can not be changed.
Not tomorrow - https://wccftech.com/intel-core-x-next-gen-cascade-lake-x-hedt-cpu-fall-2019-launch/

You can install the VESA mount yourself and attach it to an arm. Just make sure not to use the provided screws (YouTube: Snazzy Labs) -

VESA Mount Adapter Kit for iMac Pro - Space Gray

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MR3C2ZM/A

Whackintosh

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
I strong advise against considering the VESA mount kit that Apple's selling for the iMac Pro. Take a look at this video -

I’ve already seen the video ages ago. You only need to get better screws...someone put a comment about what size in that video or his other one regarding this issue on YouTube. If not there, then I think it might be on Reddit. Either way, there is a solution to finding better screws, so I have zero worries about the VESA mount they sell. The screws, not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.