Should I hack?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ddk121, Oct 12, 2007.

1. ddk121 macrumors 6502

Hey!
    I was thinking of hacking my iPod touch to run some extra apps on it. But I want your opinions first. First of all, I don't have that much experience with command lines, etc, but as long as I follow instructions carefully, I should be ok, right? Also, is there a risk of iPod's being bricked in the future when Apple release a new update for the touch?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I was able to do it with almost no UNIX experience. And there's no chance of brickage as long as you put it in Restore Mode first and put the full firmware onto it.

3. thesdx macrumors 6502a

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

5. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply. So in a way, if I wanted too, after I had hacked it and put new apps onto it. I could just restore it so it was back to how it was before?

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yup. All this 'hack' is doing is opening up read/write access. The rest of what you're doing is simply placing applications into the Applications folder on the iPod. Nothing too horrible.

7. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

i thought it wasnt worth the time an hour ago, but i am VERY glad I hacked it.

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Do IT!! You can always restore it if something goes wrong : )

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE NEW 1.1.2 UPDATE will do so hack at your own risk. Even if you restore the thing, who knows whats left on there that the new update might not be able to cooperate with. If you are ok with 1.1.1 on your ipod for hte rest of your life I would say there is no risk...