should i have 1 partition or 2 partition on my mbp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 212rikanmofo, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I just bought a new mbp with a 320gb HD. The way I've set it up in the past was to have 2 partitions. 1 For my main Mac OS X drive and the other half for Storage. But some people said this is a waste of space.

The reason I do this is because when a new version of OS X Comes out. I don't have to worry about losing files because I can just simply all the important files to my 2nd partition and then wipe out the 1st partition and install a fresh copy of the new OS X. But I'm afraid if I only have 1 partition it would make it a pain in the ass since I would have to reformat the drive and install the OS X. I prefer to install fresh and not update when a new OS X comes out.

Can any of you guys recommend anything? I really would like to keep it as 1 partition. I guess if I use timemachine then I can just simply copy all my files over after I installed os x? I'm mostly worried about my itunes music, iphoto database, aperture database, ical, addressbook, mail, lightbox database, etc.

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

No need to reformat if you want to add or remove partitions - Disc Utility can do this on the fly...

3. stockholmsyn macrumors newbie

Yes, OS X is perfect and it just works, but I use two partitions on my MBP. I keep all of my important iMovies there in case a virus from my Windows bootcamp leaks onto my Mac OS X partition. :(

4. stockholmsyn macrumors newbie

But you can never be too safe with your perfect machines!!!

:D

5. stockholmsyn macrumors newbie

Easily! I upgraded to my MBP from my old Windows 98 machine. That thing crashed and blue screened a lot!!!!!

This new computer is so much faster and not crashing!!

6. TomsMacBook macrumors 6502

Nah.
    MAC = Media Access Control.
    Mac = Macintosh. ;)

7. Jelite macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend at least two, one for the os, one for music ,photo, video and maybe one for anything else. Makes things a whole lot easier as you say if you seperate the os.

8. stockholmsyn macrumors newbie

I like to keep my iPhotos with my iMovies and my iMusic seperate in my iFolders in my external iDrive to keep them safe from iViruses.

9. belvdr macrumors 601

No, it's not. It just a couple of new ones. :) There are many here that still use Windows for various reasons.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A virus can't "leak" into the Mac OS X partition. Even if it could, a Windows virus would have zero effect on a Mac. There are no viruses in the wild that affect Macs.