Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2001
I'm going to be doing some audio editing/video editing on my PowerBook G4 667 (16mb video) and I was wondering if it would be better to partition my harddrive for it. If i partition it, is it possible just to reformat ONE of my partitions? I'm guessing doing video and audio will fragment the harddrive, and I don't want to bother getting NOrton or anything, so I just want to be able to format one partition clean.

Help PLEEZ!

bTW, I'm installing JAGUAR, a clean install

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Yes.

A scratch partition is the most professional way to prevent problems relating to fragmentation when editing.

You can initialize just that partition after every project, so you'll alwasy have a clean slate.

You should research this as much as possible, as it is very cumbersome to change later.

I would suggest (depending on drive size) 8GB for OSX + Apps, as much as you need for your scratch partition, 1GB for SWAP, and the rest for document storage.

This will yield the best performance for the OS and editing, while protecting your documents in the RARE event of a meltdown.

iapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2001
sooooo

Well, I have a 30GB hd, so probably

12-13GB for OS X
rest for Audio/Video stuff?

Is it a good idea to have the iTunes music on a different partition? Or does it matter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.