Should I have gotten a Mac OS10 Installation DVD with my new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jenny28583, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jenny28583 macrumors newbie

Wondering if I'm just being stupid...

I just unboxed my brand new 13 inch Macbook Pro. Model Late 2011, with Lion, 10.7.3. It came with the power adapter, display adapter, instruction manual, screen cleaning wipe, a couple of apple stickers. But no installation DVD for Mac OS 10. Which I have been used to from my older Macbook models.

Should that be in there, i.e. do I need to call Apple support because it is missing?!

2. jenny28583 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, so recovery dvds are a thing of the past, then? :)

Thanks. That's what I get for using my previous model (a white Macbook) since 2006...apparently I am a little behind...

3. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Thats the idea yes, if you want to be on the safe side there is the possibility to purchase a Lion memory stick from Apple. :) But even without the recovery partition, a internet connection would let you download and install Lion, so you should be fine. :)

4. simsaladimbamba

You could also just use Lion Recovery Disk Assistant (link in post #2) to make a copy of the Lion recovery partition.

5. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Yes thats correct, sorry my bad I still run Snow Leopard so Im not used to all these modern stuff ;)

6. simsaladimbamba

No worries, I still use Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard too. That suckfest called Lion is not for me. It took away Spaces.

To the voters: I expect -10 and more.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Huh?

http://mattgemmell.com/2011/07/27/using-spaces-on-os-x-lion/

Now, they may have ruined Spaces from your perspective, but as far as I know it's still there and lets you have a lot of the same functionality.

8. simsaladimbamba

Okay, they took away my favourite Spaces implementation.

Imagine going from Spaces in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, looking like this
    [​IMG]
    to Mission Control in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, looking like this
    [​IMG]
    Of course, not everyone uses that many Spaces, but Mission Control seriously hampers the usefulness of more than four virtual desktops.

PS: I use 16 Spaces now compared to the 12 shown above.

9. Alpha male macrumors newbie

^I know that feel bro.

Mission control was a failure. Grouping all the windows of an application together (eg. 10 pdf files)? Thats just silly.

10. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

YES, it should be in there. Does Tim Cook have a public e-mail?

I remember just a year or so ago the Apple Fan Boy Army would take homerun cuts at your head proclaiming the Apple world superior because unlike Windows, an Apple user got a full retail copy of the OS with purchase. No "recovery partitions" or crippled recovery disks.

And until recently the Airs came with a USB drive loaded with the retail copy of OS X. Now Apple wants to sell that to everyone for $70.

Of course, I'm being harsh. Apple is in dire financial straits and they have to cut corners to keep their head above water. Just look at how much they are subsidizing the cost of those Thunderbolt cables (only $50, get two while you can!). We all just have to dig deeper into our pockets to help out Apple and their shareholders.