Should I have my superdrive checked out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techlover828, Jun 6, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I have had so many failed burns and I literally went through 15 disks, which all failed, all dual layer. I figured it just had a problem with dual layer. Now I've tried about 5 regular DVDs and they are all failing, I haven't had a successful burn in like 40 disks. Should I get the superdrive checked out? I'm not near an apple store so it would have to wait till the summer and go with my lcd replacement.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It seems to be a common(ish) problem, mine's doing the same thing but it's out of warranty. I can't even find a replacement drive online! :eek:

My drive is a Matshita UJ-857D, what's yours?

3. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

not sure, is it in system profiler, maybe it's in here somewhere

[​IMG]

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, so it's a different drive exhibiting the same (or a similar) problem. That's interesting :confused:

6. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'll probably mention it when I go for my lcd replacement and see what they say.

7. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Nermal -- Although my MacBook Pro is nearly brand new, it was built in late January and I bought it in late March, I have the same disk player/burner as yours, which is in an, apparently, older machine:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J:

Firmware Revision: FBZ8
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
    Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

How does this drive differ from the one in the OP’s laptop?

I did some disk burning years ago, when I first got my old PowerBook G4, but haven’t done any on my new MB Pro.

8. thomasjon macrumors member

DID YOU ever find a drive online?

I have the UJ-857D as well. Sometimes mine reads discs, other times not. Not having any luck burning. If you find one online, let me know.
    Jon

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Mine's a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E with patched firmware.

Question...

Are they ALL the same brands? IF so, what brand?? Are they the same batches even? Why??

Cause some manufacturers sometimes change the dye on the disk, this can cause the drive to 'mess up'. The MBP's Superdrive seems to be bleedin' fussy!!

For instance...

I've been burning loads of disks on my machine, through the year and I've discovered I can buy the exact same brand and get failures, yet on other purchases the discs will work just fine!! And they're all the same brand! Just made in different countries.

Personally I fine Verbatim (European Made), Aone (Made in Japan) to be reliable, for RW i use the Sony discs which are (Made in Taiwan).

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just found that some discs just don't burn very well. Verbatim always works for me, Memorex breaks 1/5 discs, Sony is okay so far with 1/25.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I find some discs, Just don't Burn!
    Instead, I get loads of odd errors. :(

12. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

hey, just wanted to revive this thread to say that I got the drive replaced, but it still didn't work on memorex dl dvds. So I bought some verbatim disks and it worked perfectly. Bottom line: Don't buy memorex, go with verbatim

13. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I have always had issues with Memorex's products, as far back as I can remember, I gave up on them a year or two back when they wouldn't record in my DVD camcorder. Too bad, they always seemed to have the best prices of actual-named products (not the crappy no-name stuff).

14. iBunny macrumors 65816

Whats weird is I was going to come on here to search for this and it was the top post...

I cannot burn Dual Layer DVDs. I get a "Medium Error" and it makes the disc a coaster.

And sometimes Burned DVD's (Burned from this Machine) dont read... sometimes they do?

I love my MBP but this drive totally sucks :(

BTW SR MBP Purchased Late July 07. No GPU issues as of yet tho

15. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Good to know, thanks! :D

P.S. Yay, my first "Nested Quote" on MacRumors! :cool:

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well so far I've burned a hundred or so DL DVDs. Maybe 6 fails? I've been using Verbatim for a while, until I got a pack of Sony and Memorex which have each failed a couple times.

I'd do with Verbatim--think they cost a bit more, but at least they work!

17. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

But you messed up on the user name tags, you have me saying what the other user said, and him saying what I said :p Don't worry, it takes a little practice and time, haha.

18. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

I have the same computer as you, they replaced my GPU when it was most likely a logic board issue, I think there really paranoid about it :D.

Anyway, I was having the same burning errors, here's how to fix it:
    1. Purchase Verbatim DL DVDs from amazon (or wherever) - link
    2. If verbatim disks still don't work, bring it to the apple store/send it in, they'll replace it
    3. enjoy problem free dvd burners!

P.S. Yay, my first annoying list of obvious steps on MacRumors! :cool: