Should I hold off on getting a MacBook retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ehzool, Jul 1, 2014.

  1. ehzool macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2014
    #1
    I'm thinking about getting a MacBook Retina 13 inch but I'm just wondering if there are any rumors on apple releasing a new MacBook this fall?
     
  2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

    capathy21

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Location:
    Houston, Texas
    #2
    They most likely will but it is expected to be a slight spec bump. The Broadwell chips most likely won't be ready until late 2014 or possibly early 2015. The opinion on whether or not to wait is pretty split. I vote for getting what you need when you need it and not worry too much about what is coming.

    Something better will always be around the corner and you will never have the latest for long before something else trumps it. I recently purchased a rMBP and have zero regrets. There are some great deals to be had between things like the Best Buy sale coupled with student discounts, and the Apple refurb store which always has good prices.
     
  3. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    #3
    Unless you need it now, wait. This model is already over 8 months old.

    I got mine last week because I needed it right now.
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    Any new model will be contingent on Intel releasing their Broadwell chipset which isn't due out until late Q4. I'd say if you have a need now, get it now.
     
  5. MCAsan macrumors 601

    MCAsan

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Location:
    Atlanta
  6. ehzool thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2014
    #6
    How good are the new MacBooks going to be? And are they going to be the same price?
     
  7. mr99 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2014
  8. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

    SarcasticJoe

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2013
    Location:
    Finland
    #8
    If you're talking about the minor spec bump we might be getting in the Autumn it's probably not going to be anything more major than 100-200MHz improvement on the CPU (probably translating to 2-4% in actual performance gains) and maybe $100 off the price tag (probably still go for the same price).

    As for the machines coming early next year with Intel's new line of processors, that's probably going to be a lot more extensive. Some rumors are saying they might fold the current Macbook Air and Pro into the same line and introduce a new regular Macbook about equivalent to the current Air. However the more pessimistic rumors are just talking about the Pro getting new silicon (leading to better performance and better battery life) on the inside, but otherwise staying the same.

    So in my opinion if you can wait until next year, then wait, if not, then there really isn't much of a point in waiting.
     

Share This Page