Should I install 4.0 beta on daily use iphone 3gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klamse25, May 5, 2010.

1. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Is it worth it to upgrade? Or will I want to downgrade because apparently it's so "buggy"?

2. RichL macrumors 6502

Works fine for me but if you actually rely on your phone (I don't) then it'd be safe to not upgrade as this beta is a beta like any other. It's not intended for daily use.

3. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Seriously? it should be "buggy"... it's called "beta" and it is NOT advisable to install it on your day-to-day phone... Beta's are supposed to be for developers wishing to test new OS to try out their developed apps...

4. RichL macrumors 6502

I haven't found any detrimental bugs as of yet in my daily use. He isn't asking whether the beta is 100% operational he is asking whether it's tolerable. Relax.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

you can't wait!

it's only a month till the official release, person;y I wouldn't but I am a JB so I don't get a release as soon as it comes out. most apps aren't using 4.0 so things like pandora don't run in the background. but works great on my jb 3.1.3. honestly don't know why people want beta's!

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

According to Apple:

7. RichL macrumors 6502

Thanks for you input. We all appreciate it.

That's a disclaimer for legal purposes.

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I have a 3G and I am finding the beta to be damn buggy. Lots of problems. Huge lags at times (like typing this, it some times stutters for 10 to 20 seconds). Beta 3 is much better then beta 2 but it reset my phone this afternoon and it took a good 10 to 15 minutes before I could finally get it to reboot.

I would really think twice before installing it on a phone that is critical. I am so happy with beta 3, two would have made anyone happy for digital poop!

9. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (JB3.1, unlocked): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/8A260b Safari/531.21.10)

Indeed. I've been using Beta 1 on my main phone for weeks now - no show-stopping bugs at all. Beta 3 seems to have fixed what few annoyances there were before, and is stable. So I don't see what the problem is. Besides, it's not like you can't downgrade back to 3.1.3 and JB, if you really feel the need.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I find that beta 3 is actually very stable and very snappy. Probably very close to the final release.

12. RichL macrumors 6502

The one and only bug I have found (and has been prevalent in all 4.0 Betas) is when you turn the screen in specific apps (most stock apple apps) there will be some sort of frame that gets misshapen or isn't re sized correctly for the screen. Not too big a deal because closing/reopening the app fixes the problem. Sometimes if you go back to portrait and then to landscape again it will also fix it.

13. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

Ive had betas 1,2 and 3 on my daily use 3GS.

They have all been fine, and stable enough for day to day use. Especially beta 3 seems very stable to me.

14. slalave2 macrumors newbie

the only thing I miss is the lack of backup, it does not work.

15. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

It does if you replace a single file in iTunes, or install the beta SDK.

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

If you want to get into legality purposes, we shouldn't even be discussing the beta. It's confidential Apple information.

17. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Install the SDK. It's very easy to find even if you're not a developer.

18. jkester macrumors member

I haven't found Beta 3 buggy at all. I've been using it since yesterday. And folders are awesome:

Attached Files:

19. LinMac macrumors 65816

20. RichL macrumors 6502

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've withheld from loading the beta up to this point, though I may take the plunge. It seems the 3rd beta is fairly stable.

I joined the developer program to develop apps, though I'm not quite there yet, the beta is just icing on the cake. :)

22. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

I was unable to connect to several wifi routers using os 4 on the previous 2 betas....I heard they might have that fixed in the 3rd one though..haven't tried it yet.

Jailbroken 3.1.3 is the perfect setup for me right now...3GS has always handled the jailbreak very well and 3.1.3 is definitely the fastest os so far.

Hope they get os4 jail broken on the 3GS very soon!

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I loaded the beta last night and its been working fine for me.

24. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

25. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

thats alot of folders. i had my phone like that and was texting and using making to many phone calls i didn't like hitting the extra buttons. now the i just use the folders for 3rd party apps.