Should I install a new HD and RAM myself?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by discofuel, May 12, 2011.

1. discofuel macrumors 6502

I've looked up a number of tutorials online and it looks fairly straight forward.

Is it pretty easy? Much risk of damaging components?

Does it affect the warranty and differently if I paid an authorized repair center to install it?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. simsaladimbamba

4. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys - those guides are great!

Think I'll do it myself then and save $50.

Will let you know how I get on :)

5. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Be careful

Make sure you ground yourself to prevent static discharge. Everything else is straightforward. Use the proper size philips to get the cover off. Remember which holes have the longer screws. Some go in at an angle. You will need a #6 torx screwdriver to get the hard drive prongs off and on. I bought a set at Radio Shack. After I put in my new hard drive I re-installed Mac OS from the discs that came with it. It was new, so I had no data on the computer. SuperDuper is a clone program that works very well. If you have a bunch of data and you want to change the hard drive, you can clone your existing drive, remove it, and put the new drive in and re-image from the clone back to the new drive. Good luck.

6. sugarboylovemac macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

It is easy to upgrade the RAM and the HDD. I also have updated the RAM for my new MBP. :D

7. raydoo macrumors newbie

Absolutely, i did it and would do it again, for cosmetically purposes i would use premium grade tools from the start ... :D

8. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! This screwdriver looks like the one.

What size screwdriver will I need for the other screws?

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

if you suffer from 'the shakes', then definitely no. Otherwise go for it. :)

10. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i bought two different 00 philips screwdrivers for the cover one from sears and one from newertechnology neither fit! so when i ordered my drive it came with the enclosure and tools and the included 00 philips from there fit. So as a heads up at least from my experience buy it from a site that claims its used for the MBP such as ifixit or macsales.com

i bought by ram and hdd swap kit from them and they work great! :D

11. the_fellowship macrumors regular

I replaced the RAM (to 8GB) and HD (to SSD) on my MBP 2011 13"...just take your time and you'll be fine :)

12. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502