Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X5-599

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Hi,

Thing is: I'd rather not install it. But without it - No Youtube. I've been placed in the Html5 trial but I have to say IMHO 80% of the videos I would want to watch are still Flash based.

So, is there any "real" reason I shouldn't install Flash? My system is brand new and I'm very picky about the software I put on it.

Anybody experience any instabilities etc on Mountain Lion afterwards?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I totally understand. I still don't have java here, and I do not miss flash.

Install the youtube5 extension safari and install flash for those moments where you still need flash.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Are you using Safari? I've found that Safari and Flash don't play well together (i.e. plug-in crashes). If you do use Safari and don't want to change then moderate to heavy Flash use could cause you some headaches.

In my experience Firefox or Chrome would be better choices if you use Flash alot.

osxlovers

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Hi,
spacer.gif

Thing is: I'd rather not install it. But without it - No Youtube. I've been placed in the Html5 trial but I have to say IMHO 80% of the videos I would want to watch are still Flash based.

So, is there any "real" reason I shouldn't install Flash? My system is brand new and I'm very picky about the software I put on it.

Anybody experience any instabilities etc on Mountain Lion afterwards?

You still need Flash even when you hate it :D

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Flash and Marc Hoyois's ClickToPlugin...

Hi all,

I have just another suggestion for Flash and Safari. I use the ClickToPlugin plugin by Marc Hoyois to control Flash playing inside Safari. This useful plugin stops the automatic playing of Flash when you visit a webpage, rather you have to click on it in order for Flash to play. For instance, at the bottom of this page is a Flash advertisement that does not automatically play, rather I have to click on it in order for it to play. This means that Flash is not using CPU and network resources unless I specifically click on the ad.

(I hope I'm not going to get into hot water for advocating the control of Flash ads? Moderator? You can delete this post if you wish.)

Regards,
Switon

X5-599

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks guys.

I'm using Firefox by the way. To the HTML5 thing. Yeah. In my opinion not nearly 20% of the videos are available via HTML5. Seriously, I find myself avoiding clicking on Youtube links because my mind tells me: don't bother, it's just gonna show you a crappy missing plugin error again...

And, Chrome? It hasn't come to that yet.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I still use Flash, and it crashes constantly on Mac... "The plugin has crashed, Do you want to re-stet" type questions.

When it does work, its ok, but i hate resist in installing Java because if all these exploits.

Trouble is, its not only web that needs it... its also apps too... (Don't ask me why this would be the case, I have no idea), but even some of Adobe's stuff on Mac requires Java, and Windows versions don't...

This shouldn't be the case surly.... If it can be done fine, on Windows, then why is it needed for Mac. Can't people do it any other way ?

Plus, this is what happens when you hook into something else, to use your program.......

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Use ClicktoPlugin. It can play back most any video in HTML5 (all of Youtube, Vimeo, etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.