should I install invisible shield on my iphone 3gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by siratherock, Jun 20, 2009.

1. siratherock macrumors newbie

I'm pretty impress with the new coating on the 3gs. It's much easier to wipe off smudges. However, I felt that my iphone is not protected some how. I'm thinking about installing Zagg invisible shield to protect it from dusts scratching the phone. So my question is, does Zagg protects the iphone 3gs from having smudges as well as the coating that's on the 3gs? Also, if like a year or two, I decided to remove the shield, will the original coating on the 3gs comes off too? I have done some research on this forum, but didn't found a clear answer. Thanks for your time.

2. jaltamirano macrumors regular

i love mine! i had invisible shield on all my phones, and when it comes the time to selling em' the buyer is always suprise to see a brand new looking iPhone.. honestly i dont think it would ruin the coating? i have it on my 3gS and its awesome :)

3. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

How hard are those things to apply? I'm afraid that there will be a bunch of bubbles...

4. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Buy it at the apple store and have them do it for you.

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

I hate the Invisishield. Makes the slickness of the iPhone disappear. I don't understand this obsession with screen protectors. The iPhone is all but unscratchable. I put it in my left pants pocket with nothing else, and I've never, ever scratched my iPhones. I've had the iPhone, the iPhone 3G, and now the 3GS. My wife has had all three in her purse, too, and never ever made a mark on the screen. The chrome... well that's another matter! That's impossible to keep scratch free.

6. jaltamirano macrumors regular

my local mall has a invisible shield kiosk and they install them for blackberrys, iphones, g1, etc for $10 extra and it looks great.. and they also offer lifetime warranty all you have to pay is installation for replacements. You can hardly tell it has anything.

7. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Will they really do it?

8. chewbaccacabra macrumors regular

chewbaccacabra

In China I bought my wife a knock off Nokia at a phone bazaar. They installed a clear shield that was a piece of clear packing tape! :D

9. jaltamirano macrumors regular

lol thats China for you, was it worth it? and did you have to pay? ahaha

10. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Yes
    I got a anti glare and I asked if they could put it on for me and they did
    while I was waiting I saw a apple tech putting on a few screen shields on other phones. Yes they will do it for you

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's not an "invisishield". It's an "Invisible Shield". And it does wonders for the BACK of the phone as well as the chrome bezel, which is virtually impossible to keep scratch free without some sort of protection.

If you hate the feeling of it on your screen then don't install it on your screen.

12. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I have one because it attracts less finger prints. I tried not having one with my incase slider for a month but the finger prints got too annoying.

13. siratherock thread starter macrumors newbie

How about the feel to it? Does it feel the same as glass texture? Does it make your phone more shinny and cheap?

14. uhhitsjames macrumors member

It doesn't feel the same at all. I put it on my 3G, back came out mint the front sucked though and it all felt weird. Bought the 3GS yesterday and don't plan on using it this time around. I found the best case is a sock. Other cases seem to get random things stuck in them and scratch the bezel. Just my thoughts.

15. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I've never put anything on my iPhone. I haven't treated it especially carefully, and there are no scratches on the screen, and only very light scratches on the back which are barely noticeable.

I don't see the point of putting any plastic over it, it only detracts from the overall look of the phone.

16. Andruw91 macrumors regular

I put an invisibleshield on my 3gs last night. Took about 50 minutes for me to get it since I wanted it to be perfect. I'd say its about 95% the way I want it. Few specs of dirt under the shield that I noticed this morning, but I can live with them. Take your time is my only advice. I saw this on youtube where a guy used a rubber band to hold the corners down while it dried and that worked GREAT.

17. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I was at the mall and saw a stall up for the invisible sheild guys...it seems they understand how incredibly painful it is to put these things on...

A year ago I purchased one for my iPhone 3G...I tried to get the thing on but I got so frustrated....it really takes a lot of time and patience and/or expert ability.

Well, I decided to go ahead and pair my anti-glare film with an invisible shield for the back of my new iPhone 3GS, since they were to install it....and I am very pleased with the result. The phone actually feels a little better to hold because the surface is "stickier" because of the material (imagine saran wrap that was like 100times thicker and stronger, basically).

It covers the back well, but the corners are sketchy. For one thing, you'll have dirt collect right at the edge sometimes, because of the way the surface "sticks" to the phone. The shield is removable when you want it to, but it stays on otherwise. It won't leave any residue, as this has dried off when the thing is on. Well, you may need to wipe it down, but in general nothing bad for the phone. And yes, you can really take a key to it and it won't do a thing. Really strong stuff.

You really can't see the shield! It really adds to the beauty of the device, and I recommend it as long as you can get someone to do it for you (or you are really patient and have a steady hand).

18. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I think those things are pretty stupid! You can live with a scratch on your phone, but if you drop it, what in the world is an invisible shield going to do? Really?

Get yourself a case, put it on the phone, leave the screen as is, and be happy that the next time you drop your phone its not going to break into a million pieces like it would with that stupid invisible shield!:cool:

19. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Some people hate scratches because they detract from the value of the phone. If they are going to sell it in a year in order to subsidize the NEW iPhone, they want as much as they can get. I'm not saying that's me whatsoever, but don't be a troll.

20. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I bought a pack of Invisible Shields shortly after I bought my iPhone. A week or two later, I was running and my iPhone popped out of my shirt pocket and slid a good 3 feet across the concrete... face first. Of course I was horrified, but I remembered about the screen protector and I breathed a sigh of relief. All I had to do was replace the Shield and everything was fine. Needless to say, it would be an entirely different story if I didn't have any protection.

tl;dr: Always use protection, kids. ;)

21. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Amen

22. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yea but how much is your phone going to be worth when you drop it on the ground and housing cracks or your screen cracks because you don't hbe a case on it. I jut don't think the good of the shield overtake the bad.

23. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Be careful when installing it due to the liquid spray. Some overspray or seepage could EASILY get into the docking or earphone ports while installing and set off your water damage sensor (especially for the docking port) voiding your warranty.

24. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if the housing cracks, you can get it replaced at apple
    if the screen cracks (not likely unless it lands on something pointy and not flat, or lands right on the screen, or you just have awful luck), then your in trouble

also, Apple doesn't sell invisible shields. There have been reports that the application liquid may be bad for the phone, especially the screen, and may be a factor in causing dead strips (not saying its true, just that that is what I've heard, and the reason Apple employees say they don't stock them)

power support static cling film is better for the screen anyway, especially anti glare. Gives the screen a much better texture, although it is not as shiny. And they do sell that there, although it isn't hard to apply. No liquid needed. Just drop it on, and peel it off if it doesn't look right and try again. Plus, you can wash it in soap and water, let it dry, and reuse it

25. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

I like to have a hard case on my iPhone, but I hate when dust gets into the case and scratches the phone... so I use an invisible shield (back only) as a protective "skin" underneath my hard slider case. Best of both worlds.

As for the screen, PS anti-glare, no exceptions. It improves the tactile response of the screen, IMO, and obviously helps if you need to use the iPhone outdoors in direct sunlight.