Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Guess the title is to the point.

For years I've used Notetaker to keep track of bills paid. That's it. just a long list of bills paid in an encyrpted notebook.

I recently did a full hdd wipe and install/upgrade fresh to El Capitan. I haven't set up Notetaker yet.
It requieres the Java 6 runtime (don't know if it'd work with a current or if purely needs the older). I'm wondering if I want to add something that could have system impacts if the reason is so small.

Conversely, if it'd have no impact then it wouldn't be an issue.

Anyone have opinions on this dumb conundrum I'm having?

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I'm also wondering if I should just switch programs. I see other note apps out there.. what I liked/like about Notetaker is it's paradigm of different notebooks. I had originally intented to use one as a ledger, one to store passwords and so on..only the ledger was ever set up...still like the padigm, though.

shftoptk

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
USA
java is a security risk and potential vector for junkware. Has been for years. If you are careful and disable it in browsers then you should be OK.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Java 6 is also nearing obsolescence. Apple announced that the successor to El Capitan will no longer support Java 6 at all. If you can make it work with a newer version of Java, then that is preferred. Better still: is there is a decent native alternative, then use that one.

I don’t know what your preferences are, but apps like Evernote and Microsoft OneNote also follow the ‘notebook’ paradigm. If it is really just a simple list, then you might also want to check out Apple’s Notes app. It is pretty decent in El Capitan and iOS 9 and just received encrypted notes in the latest version.

Reactions: simonsi and NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What KALLT said.

Additionally, if not married too much to a notebook paradigm, and you have a copy of Office that's 2007 or more recent (ie. Does docx, xlsx formats), that has strong encryption and can be accessed via the MS mobile apps. Believe Dropbox can handle that as well, as part of their integration/teaming-up. MS Onedrive handles. Spreadsheet would be ideal for bill pay logging, what with functions to tally, average, projecting, etc.

Believe LibreOffice does strong encryption as well, but ODF is not mobile friendly.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks, I'll look at those apps.

And I could just use an exel page for this...

To specify, when I say "notebook paradigm" I mean that literally:
(screen shot from my macbook)
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 10.52.41 PM.png

the uhm skeuomorph thing...it just appeals to me.

Save yourself the trouble, just use Numbers and password protect the document if you are concerned about security. You can then add filters to your columns and find specific items.

As you said you reformatted your computer, if you need to retrieve that data, then you are going to have to install Java first, no way around that.

Most banks have online banking that keep track of all of your transactions automatically and are encrypted to comply with PCI-DSS standards. Payment information is already processed via the Internet so it doesn't hurt to take advantage of online banking features.

Last edited:

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
As you said you reformatted your computer, if you need to retrieve that data, then you are going to have to install Java first, no way around that.

Program's still on my Macbook pro. I kept the file in dropbox, so I could access it from either.

It went out of fashion, however. I don’t know any program of this kind that looks like that. Have you checked the Mac App Store?

It didn't go out of fashion, Johnny Ives just lost his mind.

The program in the picture is Notetaker which I talked about...it is available from the App Store, but hasn't been updated in many years, and needs java etc..

I'm sure i'll just give up and use Excel, but I'll head to the program thread and see if any one has ideas there.

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
Highly recommend MS Onenote, for the following reasons:

1. Free
2. Syncs automatically
3. Apps on all platforms (Mac, Windows, iOS, android, web browser)
4. Supports your different notebooks paradigm
5. Has page lines
6. Did I mention free?
7. You can password protect and use Touch ID on iOS.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Some older Adobe apps use it, such as Illustrator CS6, but I think there might be a workaround to install the latest Java instead of Apple's to get it working.

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
I did download onenote the other day to look at it..seems all 1 window-y..which may be what I have to settle for in the end. Thanks!

I noticed last night that it doesn't have the Skeumorphic filler page lines... Sorry about that. I know it's on the Windows version but didn't notice that it wasn't on the Mac version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.