Should I Install Java?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Drew017, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

My brand new MacBook Air just came, and after copying my data to it I was wondering about Java, and if I should install it. I'm a little wary because of the recent malware that exploited holes in Java's security, so in the past I never had it installed... but there are some web applications I would like to run that require Java and I was wondering if it is safe to install it now? Thanks ;)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should be fine installing it. Just make sure you have Java disabled in your browser(s) until you visit a trusted site that requires it. Then disable it again after you leave the site.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is safe to install as long as you do not allow Java apps to execute on sites you don't trust. With the latest Safari update there really is no longer a need to turn Java off and on all the time. If you hit a site that wants to run Java you will get a popup in Safari asking if you want to allow Java to run. That Java approval (or block) is remembered by Safari and you can see it in Safari Preferences under the Security tab and Manage Website Settings.

Prior to this Safari update, just having Java turned on could allow malicious Java apps to run on your system when you visited a site. This is no longer the case as you now need to specifically approve Java for each site.

4. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017