should i install leopard on this system?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DarthTreydor, Dec 8, 2007.

1. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i'm wondering whether its worth installing leopard on my brother's emac or whether i should just leave tiger on it. the specs are as follows:

1 ghz G4
    512 MB ram

what do you guys think?

also, on a side note, if i did decide to do it, since his emac doesn't have a dvd drive, how would i go about installing leopard. is there an easy way to do it that doesn't involve swapping out hard drives or anything like that?

thanks

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

with no dvd drive erm, you're pretty much stuck there, id leave tiger on tbh, seems more hassle than its worth to upgrade.

3. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

would it be possible to install tiger on a external drive using another mac then copy it to the internal one of the emac?

4. mr.light macrumors 6502

If you use Target Mode with another Mac you should be able to install. Shouldn't you? :confused:

5. Muzzway macrumors regular

It doesn't have a DVD drive? I'm pretty sure that it would. Are you sure it just doesn't have a DVD burner?

Or am I missing something, and the DVD drive is broken?

6. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

nope. its just a reglular old cd rom drive. remember those? :rolleyes:

7. Queso macrumors G4

Only if it's a PowerPC model that you use to install. An Intel image won't boot on an eMac.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Probably best to upgrade the RAM first, but I don't see why you shouldn't install it on there. Another PPC computer with a DVD drive or just an external DVD drive will be sufficient to do the install.

jW