Should I install Lion on 13" MBP 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Srirama, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Srirama macrumors member

So I'm thinking buying lion and re-installing the OS on my computer.
    What I wanted to know is whether all the initial kinks about battery life,sound going missing,graphics issue are all gone with the latest updates.
    Also if there is a definite improvement over Snow Leopard?

The computer I'm talking about is in my signature. :apple:

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

lion works just fine on my 2010 13" MBP. and now that i upgraded to 8gb or ram, even better.

4. hotgrease macrumors regular

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

No issues here with Lion 10.7.2 on 2010 13" with 4gb ram.

6. John SC macrumors newbie

Found out that I had one essential app that used a PPC plug in ( didn't realise it at the time as it was embedded within the App) so had to revert to Snowy . However for the short time I had Lion on the MBP no real problems.

Not sure though that any of the new features really made that much difference, as I don't seem to miss anything now the MPB is back on Snowy

7. Srirama thread starter macrumors member

How is the battery life?
    Right now on SL,I get about 6 hours and my battery health is down to 85% with 160 cycles.

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

After installing it on my 2010 15" it dropped the battery life by about 30 minutes, so not too bad. I assume it would be near the same for your computer.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I say go for it. The gestures alone are worth it, but that is only my opinion. Some people need access to PPC apps (see the Quicken article on the main page for example), and some people believe SL to be more stable than Lion (though I personally don't notice a stability difference at all between SL and Lion).

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I installed it for a friend on her 13", Runs great.

11. Srirama thread starter macrumors member

I just finished installing,right now the system is indexing and I'm downloading a few updates.
    Seems ok till now.
    Safari just got way way way faster. :D (Now,thats something! )
    I'll post my battery life after checking.

12. MrBullet macrumors member

Never used Snow Leopard, but Lion is wicked!

When I brought my MBP I did see a few posts here and there that having 8GB of RAM would wise, but by looking at the posts, people are using it fine with 4GB.

13. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I put Snow Leopard back on my MBP.

Battery life is reduced by Lion (maybe 10.7.3 will fix it, but the fact such a huge drop in battery life took place in Lion puts the kibosh on the claim of fantastic battery lifespans as a reason to get Apple over the competition...)

I use Lion on my 2009 Mac Pro and I do like it (and the latest version of Safari, which rocks), but the battery life issue trumps all the others.

14. Srirama thread starter macrumors member

Battery life really is bad :(
    I'm getting 4 hours max,2hrs loss of battery is high.
    I could easily manage 6hrs+ on Snow Leopard.

15. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Used iLion for over 3 months right after release. Lost abut an hour in Battery but I could live with that. It's the other stuff I found too annoying (like removing Spaces) that eventually led me back to SL. "Missing Control" just wouldn't accommodate my workflow.

Battery is back to about 6.5 hours (MBP13). Boot time on an SSD went from 20 seconds to 11. (Yeah, I know… that 20 seconds was a killer :D).

Indeed. Lion's gestures are nice. That's why I use Better Touch Tool to replicate most all of them on Snow Leopard.

Yep. Those that don't know what they had will never miss it. As new hardware will only run Lion I'm guessing Apple is counting on us old OS users to wither away and die.

16. bill-p macrumors 65832

If your usage includes a lot of idle time or you just do very light stuffs (web browsing, text editing, etc...) then yes, the battery loss is significant on older Macs.

Personally, I find that Lion is fine only on 2011 Macs onward.