Should I install or not

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by willie45, Feb 23, 2014.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

I have a 2007 white iMac 2.16 Ghz with 3Gb RAM ( the maximum it will allow ). I currently have 10.6.8 on it and I'm wondering if it would run Mavericks or not. Apple seemed to suggest it would when Mavericks came out but I don't know if it's wise or not.

I wasn't going to upgrade to Lion because it seemed a step too far but maybe Mavericks is kinder to the machine.

All advice gratefully received.

2. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Even with Mavericks being free and relatively streamlined it doesn't mean you should bother installing it especially due to the age of your system. Mavericks is designed to work with newer Mac technologies.

What you can do just to test it is download it from the Mac App store, create a bootable USB installer and create a partition on your hard drive. Install Mavericks on the partition. This way you can see how well it runs. Your iMac isn't capable of using more than 3GB of ram which isn't much. Even if you install 4GB, only 3GB will be recognized.

3. Bear macrumors G3

The question is not if it will run Mavericks, but how well will it run Mavericks. And truthfully with that little RAM, I'd suggest not bothering.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, Mavericks will neither install, nor run on your 2.16 GHz iMac. Maximum is 10.7.5 (Lion)

5. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular