Should I install OS X 10.7 on a low end Macbook ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Zotaccian, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I have Macbook Late 2007 with 1.83GHz C2D, 2 gigs of ram and 160gb hard disk. Graphics are handled by Intel GMA 950.

Right now it has Snow Leopard which works OK, just recently installed. According to Wikipedia Snow Leopard still receives security fixes but is this true? I don't know what features in Lion I would need but the state of support worries me a bit, then again I have used Tiger and Leopard in my PPC Macs without noticing any problems. Also this Mac is lowest end of machines which fulfils official system requirements so it might be sluggish?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you really need something Lion offers (like iCloud), I would stick with Snow Leopard. It is still updated with security patches.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

It has recently received security updates, but none since Mavericks has been released, with the exception of the Remote Desktop client. We really don't know if this is true anymore (nor do we know if Lion will receive any updates either.) Apple lists 10.9 as being the security update for 10.6.8 and later, so it may be that all the earlier operating systems are out of luck. It sure would be nice if Apple would publish a road map for this.

4. iHacker0390 macrumors member

5. T909 macrumors regular

T909

Nope, Lion will receive security updates for years and so does Mountain Lion, but Snow Leopard is going to be dead soon.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

You simply do not know that, regardless of what Apple has done in the past. Apple has not had two versions of OS X which run on the exact same hardware in a long time– and has not offered a free OS upgrade since 10.1 was released– so to make assumptions based on what Apple has done previously just isn't a good idea.

7. T909 macrumors regular

T909

I don't but I can hope for the best. At least i've learned not to buy Apple products anymore :)

8. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

Sorry to dig this old thread up but I have the same question I have a mid 2007 white MB running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 at the moment and here's the specs

Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

So is it worth it to upgrade to Lion, mainly of the features that comes with 10.7 but I don't want to waste $ if it slows my hardware or an unstable OS because of the upgrade.