Should I install Parallels Desktop or VM Ware Fusion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gathart, Mar 9, 2009.

1. gathart macrumors regular

this is from the macrumors buying guide, but they did not answer it. and esp with the new upgrades things might have changed. What is the best??

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Have a read through the Windows on the Mac section: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86. There are a number of threads covering the pros and cons. I think at the end of the day it's down to personal preference. I use Fusion and I find it to be better than Parallels. You can download a demo of each and try them out before buying.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

4. giobox macrumors newbie

In fairness pretty much any large IT department will recommend Fusion - VMWare make a great deal of server software products and are well respected in this field. As such the IT department is likely far more familiar with VMWare.

Parallels on the other hand doesn't have the same well known brand behind it.

I've used both and like many have found them to be similar in performance, but VMWare is in my experience more stable. Parallels tends to be first to roll out the flashy new features, but VMWare tends to make sure things actually work!

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Depending on your needs, VirtualBox is good too. And it is free.

6. gathart thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone

great advice esp the wiki link!