Should I install Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chaos123x, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I went to the apple store today to just look aroud and I ended up buying a copy of snow leopard. I heard there were allot of bugs with Snow Leopard when it first came out and that Quicktime X was #%$&# up.

Is that still true or did they fix most of the issues?

Currently I am running Final Cut Studio 2 on a Mac Pro Octo 2.8ghz machine with 10gigs of RAM.

Should I wait till I upgrade to FCS3? Or will Studio 2 run fine on Snow Leopard?

I was thinking about waited for FCS4 since Logic and Aperture just released in 64-bit.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So you ask this question after you spend your money? The QuickTime X situation is a non-issue because QuickTime 7 is an optional install. IIRC, QuickTime 7 Pro is retained by default if you have it.

I don't run any version of FCP so I can't comment on its compatibility. Having said that, three things:
    • Application compatibility issues with new versions of operating systems are not bugs. They are to be expected.
    • Apple applications tend to be fairly robust over several OS releases.
    • In what way is FCS 2 superior to FCS 3?
    The major issue with Snow Leopard is that your old print drivers will not work. However, the OS automatically downloads compatible drivers from your printer manufacturer's website.

All-in-all, there are few reasons for an Intel-based Mac's owner not to upgrade. For $29, you get a smaller, faster, OS that runs the latest versions of just about all MacOS X software as well as most older versions.

3. Chaos123x thread starter macrumors 68000

Well it was only 29 bucks and I do plan to install it eventually when the bugs are sorted out. Thats why I bought it now. Not sure if I should install it right away though.

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

For what it's worth I've had no issues since 10.6.1 with FCS2, and I've noticed a good speed increase with FCS3 and Snow Leopard.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What bugs?

6. justmyopinion macrumors newbie

What are you waiting for? Install it and move on. I installed it several weeks ago and have not had one issue with it.......you won't believe how much space you gain.......

Enjoy!!