Should I install Symantec AntiVirus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LoneWolf121188, Aug 10, 2007.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Cornell "highly recommends" that I install SAV on my machine. They even give me a free copy of it. Should I bother, or will it just hog system resources?

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

The short answer is no as there is no virus threat (AFAIK) on the OSX platform. As for resources, I am unaware of how much it actually uses.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Not just system resources. Symantec software actually introduces security issues to your Mac, as has been proven by a number of critical vulnerability advisories over the past couple of years. If I were you I'd ditch the Symantec option and install the open-source ClamXAV for doing scans of your data files (ClamXAV won't do the system files). You won't get infected unless someone creates a Mac virus, but at least you won't pass anything nasty onto someone else in the meantime.

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Stay away from it. Symantec has not been on the cutting edge of Mac development for a long time. There are no viruses that can infect a Mac.