Should I install Window 7 or Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheAnoyingApple, May 1, 2010.

1. TheAnoyingApple macrumors member

Hey im about to install windows on my macbook via bootcamp. However, i will use the same partition for parallels, which means that my ram is goign to be damaged. I wanted to know which os did u recomment me to install. Does windows 7 hog more cpu and ram than vista?

2. neteng101 macrumors 65816

3. soms macrumors 6502

soms

4. TheAnoyingApple thread starter macrumors member

hahaha so vista eats and poops ram and cpu right?

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

OK here's my take:

If you have a new (2009 or 2010 model) Macbook or MBP, go 7. However, driver support isn't great on the older ones - maybe it's improved? I had issued with the RC on my wife's white Macbook (early 2008).

Now, I KNOW that I'll hear a lot of crap for what I'm about to say, but... I would pick Vista over XP on a Mac. I have copies of both XP and Vista (but not 7), and Vista runs FAR BETTER on my 13" MBP (the brand new 2010 model) than XP. Can't really explain it, and believe me, it pains me to say it, but, at least for my MBP, I'd pick Vista over XP.

However, if you're having to buy a new copy, don't get anything but 7. :)

It just seems like driver compatibility with Vista is better...

6. coupdetat macrumors 6502

Definitely go 7. Vista isn't bad, but the interface is definitely less intuitive than 7's. Don't use XP unless you enjoy horrendous startup times, lots of crashes, poor hardware support, and other great relics of the past.

7. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Most of the things that make people hate Windows are prevalent in XP and much much much less so in Vista or 7. Id say 7 > Vista > XP.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I would take Window 7 over all of them! Window 7 blows both of them outnof the water!

9. xjames macrumors regular

I have XP Performance edition* under parallels. Takes less than 300MB of space. Wouldn't touch Vista (again) with a 7-foot pole. Have no experience with 7. After all, 7 wasn't my idea.

*Performance edition is a user-modified version of XP without all the boatware and tuned for better performance. I have a copy of XP and used my own serial number, just in case you're watching, big brotha.

10. UKBeast macrumors 6502

where did you download it mate ?

I have to make bootcamp with it.

11. bwh318 macrumors newbie

Windows 7 for sure. If not, Vista. Vista, despite all of the haters (who were, for the most part, anti-Vista because they tried it near release, likely on a computer that wasn't designed to handle it, and aren't willing to try it again), it is actually a pretty solid operating system. But, 7 blows it out of the water.

XP is an antique.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I had Windows 2000 then got a new computer with Windows ME. Plagued by such nonsense I waited for Windows XP and bought a Pro license for pretty cheap through edu as soon as it was released. Been using that license on every machine I've had for years. Tried Vista, hated every second of it, then moved up to Win 7 and havn't looked back since.

So basically it comes down to cost. Whichever one you can get cheaper (Win 7 or XP wins).

13. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I used XP from its release in 2001 until last February, when I upgraded to Windows 7. Windows 7 is, at long last, a worthy upgrade from XP. I am running VMware Fusion and Windows 7 in Unity mode on my MBP and love it. Be warned, though, that the combination of Win 7, Fusion in Unity mode, and having several Windows open on the OS X desktop is a memory hog. I upgraded my RAM to 6Gb when I shifted to Win 7. I have assigned 3Gb of my RAM and one processor core to the Fusion virtual machine and everything works well This is a setup I recommend highly but only if you have plenty of RAM.