Should I install Yosemite on 2010 MacBook Pro ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, Jun 8, 2015.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Hi Guys,

I wanted a common opinion on this, I am right now on OS X 10.9.5 on my 2010 Macbook. Since I am using a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro it is 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Machine with 4GB RAM. I am a little cynical about installing Yosemite as a lot of people call it Buggy and just awful. Does everyone here also concur. Should I update my OS or not ? Will the hardware specs of my mac be a constraint in using and running yosemite to its optimum ?

Thanks

2. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Only speaking for myself, I installed it on an early 2009 MBP (Ordinary install, not clean) and I've never had any issues. It runs noticeably better for me than any previous OS

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Go ahead, from my experience it isn't worse than Mavericks. If you're unsure about whether you'd like it you can always partition the drive and try it on another partition.

4. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

is Yosemite a Battery Hogger that is one another thing that I have heard about it !! People talking about their battery getting drained faster than on Mavericks or Mountain Lion.

5. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

6. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I did not not nice any difference going from Mavericks to Yosemite. Yosemite actually has some new features designed to improve battery life, so you may even notice better battery life.

8. Smoothie macrumors 6502

Same for me on a mid-2009 MBP with only 4 GB of RAM. Did not do a clean install and works fine.

9. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Might have to ...encourage the missus to update her 2009 13" Pro then.

10. CarbonCycles macrumors newbie

Did the upgrade on mine (same year as yours) and I had some backward compatibility problems with some applications, but I saw an improvement in battery life.

11. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

i have yosemite on my 2010 15" i5 and it runs beautifully.

12. B-Eugen macrumors member

As others have said in the Yosemite section, try it on an external drive first. First, you may not like it. Second, it seems to be hardware picky and you don't want to make a commitment to something that may prove to be problem causing. If it works and you like it, install it. It seems to use a little more memory than Mavericks but the more recent releases I think are comparable in speed.

13. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Yosemite works fine on my MBP 2008, admittedly that is 8Gb and an SSD but it works fine.