Should I jailbreak my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lullaby, May 25, 2011.

1. lullaby macrumors newbie

Hi!
    So I've had an iPod 4G for a while. It's jailbroken and everything. I love it, but the battery life sucks. I recently received a new iPhone 4 and the battery life is long-lasting! However, I really really love my lockscreen on my iPod 4 and would also like it on my iPhone 4. I don't know a way to accomplish this without jailbreaking it...

If it makes a difference, on my iPod, I listen to music, play games, and surf the web. Other than using internet, I'll keep it on airplane mode (it really helps save my battery life<3). With my iPhone, I've been using it for mostly basic necessities - texting/calling, internet when iPod has no wifi, and the map. I also listen to music on it when I don't carry my iPod.

so I was wondering, will jailbreaking my iPhone 4 significantly decrease battery life like it did to my iPod?

2. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking does nothing on the battery, but what you install does. I have great battery life. You may need to do some testing, but I have great battery life with SBsettings, lockinfo, and bitesms.

3. DzR-BaM macrumors member

Most will say yes,

I say no,
    I did mine not long ago, and found it flakey on 4.3.3,

Just didnt feel like a normal iphone, somewhat laggy. But if u need the extra apps for functions go for it, but not for a lock screen

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

No, jailbreaking will not decrease your battery life. However, if you download a bunch of unnecessary themes and tweaks, that will. Keep it simple and stick with the necessary ones and you should be fine.

5. lullaby thread starter macrumors newbie

In that case, would installing Clockhide and a custom lockscreen really make a difference? And Barrel? (makes the transition from page to page different) I had Barrel on my iPod and I love it but I think it may be one of my battery-draining factors... not sure.

Besides that, I'd only plan on getting, as mentioned above, SBSettings and biteSMS and perhaps LockInfo. Anything winterboard I am avoiding for sure.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Why don't your try it for a day or 2 and see what you think? That way you'll know firsthand and for sure.

7. ryanrich macrumors regular

I definitely vote yes. I'm on my third iPhone now and never go un-jailbroken and have never had a single issue. Like others have said, it's WHAT you install that can make your phone laggy.

I dunno how people live without SBsettings. That app is so useful and should be integrated into the standard iOS UI.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I have lockinfo installed as well as barrel (and a bunch of other tweaks) and haven't noticed a hit in the battery. I can go two days with moderate use. Full day until night time with heavy use. Like the other poster said, just try it out, got nothing to lose.

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Couldn't imagine how much less I would like my iPhone without the following jailbreak tweaks:

- SBSettings
    - Springtomize
    - NoLockScreen
    - Springflash
    - FullScreenSafari
    - ImaSafari
    - Infinifolders
    - FastSnap

The list goes on and on...

10. shadowjeff macrumors regular

Jailbreak for sure. Like most people have posted in this thread, jailbreak shouldn't affect your battery at all, third party apps and tweaks do. And since you love your old LS, jailbreak it because you would most probably get sick of the default interface.

Those complaining about lag, install fakeclockup for some *enhanced*speed :)