Should I jailbreak my iPhone in order to unlock it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dessskris, Jul 8, 2014.

1. dessskris macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm currently using an Orange sim in a locked iPhone 5 but I'm looking to switch to giffgaff. I have requested a device unlock to Orange since mid may and I've been charged the £20ish unlocking fee. However, upon inserting a new giffgaff sim I am unable to use it, which suggests my phone has not been unlocked. The promised time to unlock a phone is 20 days but it clearly has been way longer than that now and I cannot stand the wait anymore.

I have read on forums that almost everyone who had requested to unlock their iPhone from orange never had it unlocked, which is worrying me, so I'm looking to find other ways to get my phone unlocked asap.

I personally don't really like jailbreaking my phone. Nah, my warranty already expired anyway so that's not the reason why. I feel satisfied enough with the current features offered by Apple and not need to personalise it further. And I'm scared of all the problems that might happen to my phone because of jailbreaking it.

However I've been told I could unlock my phone with an app available upon jailbreaking. So I thought maybe I should just jailbreak my phone and get it unlocked myself? I've read that jailbreaking could be reversed by restoring via iTunes. So perhaps it's not all that bad? But if I just jailbreak my phone to unlock it, and then restore it via iTunes, is my phone still gonna be unlocked or not?

Is there gonna be a problem if in actuality Orange is processing my unlock request to Apple and they find out my phone has been jailbroken?

I would really greatly appreciate all your advice.

Thanks in advance!

2. eyoungren, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You were lied to, or at least someone was dishonest. Both with jailbreaking and unlocks.

A jailbreak does not automatically cause problems. It does not decrease your security. What you, the user do with your phone after you jailbreak it is what causes the problem.

If a manufacturer installs a governor on a car that you buy and at some point you remove the governor, go fast and get in an accident is it the the removal of the governor that caused the problem? Or is it the fact that you the user went fast and were reckless?

Unlocks. What you are probably being told about is a software unlock. Software unlocks have not been doable for the iPhone for a few years now. That time period is gone.

Perhaps, whomever you spoke with or read information on is referring to a SIM Interposer. SIM Interposers fit between your SIM card and your phone. They act as a MITM (Man In the Middle) attack on your phone to fool it into thinking that you are on the correct network when you aren't. These kinds of "unlocks" are not true unlocks because if you remove them your phone is still locked. But they rely on certain circuitry and coding to work. When you update they can be rendered inoperative.

Lastly, Apple can only find out if you are jailbroken if you hand them your phone in a jailbroken state. And yes, all you need to do is restore to wipe the jailbreak. The problem with that is that often when you restore it's to a new version that isn't jailbreakable.

3. Azzin macrumors 68040

How did you pay for this unlock?

If you have paid for it and they have not supplied it, it's fraud, so contact your bank.

4. Superman80 macrumors regular

I had much more success harassing Orange on Facebook and twitter to get my iphone unlocked after paying upfront, ended up taking nearly 2 months but finally got there in the end.

I thought the same would happen with T Mobile as they are now pretty much the same company as orange but this took less than a week to process, just goes to show you that orange is the problem

5. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Did you restore your phone in iTunes like you're supposed to so the unlock can process?

6. jon8214 macrumors regular

just out of curiosity did you get the notification from orange that your phone was unlocked? it you did, did you put the giffgaff sim into the phone and then restore it through iTunes? if you didn't restore it then the phone will not recognise that it is unlocked. if you haven't received the notification of unlock from orange i would then suggest you get back onto them and get them to sort it out as they have already received payment for the service of unlocking it.

7. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I believe after 7.0 a restore is not necessary

8. jon8214 macrumors regular

he hasn't said if he's restored it and yes you do still need to do it even with iOS 7

9. Superman80, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

Superman80 macrumors regular

No you don't, just swap the sim and it will activate the unlock there and then, the only time you need to use itunes is if you dont have a different network sim card to hand, see here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5014

10. jon8214 macrumors regular

Im going off my own experience, the last 2 iPhones (4 and 5) i unlocked i changed the sim card and it wouldn't recognise it, i had to restore both of them, they were both on iOS 7.1 and both happened to be on orange UK

11. mr99 macrumors 6502a