Should I Jailbreak/Unlock my iphone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdylan423, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jdylan423 macrumors newbie

Hello Experts!
    I turn to all of you for advice.

I have an iphone 3G and I am an AT&T customer. I have never unlocked or jailbroke my phone before.

I was curious if you all can tell me what the benefits would be if I did unlock/jailbreak my phone?

Is there a point to doing it if I am on at&T?

Thanks!

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

By jailbreaking you get access to many more applications, many of which allow you to
    modify your iPhone and do other things that Apple don't allow you to do such as run background apps or block ads in Safari. Unlocking would really give you no benefit as you are using AT&T.

3. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I have already checked out the 3.0 jb, but I couldn't take the big speed decrease. Your call really.

4. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Just don't install too many apps that run in the background. Remember, there's not a lot of ram to go around.

5. jdylan423 thread starter macrumors newbie

Follow up question

Thanks for your responses.

I never realized that so many apps would slow down my phone.

I am starting to delete apps now.

Let's say I do jailbreak my phone, where would I find these apps that apple does not allow?

Does Jailbreaking actually slowdown the performance of the iphone?

There are a couple of places around where I live where at&t service is terrible. If my phone was unlocked, would I be able to pickup t-mobile service or something else around there even though I am on at&t?

Thanks!!