Should I Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by myessail, Nov 3, 2010.

1. myessail macrumors newbie

myessail

I just got my first iPod Touch (4g) a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure if I should jailbreak. Would it hurt my device in any way, and if not, how should I go about jailbreaking? Thanks! :D

2. jeznav macrumors 6502

jeznav

What are the reasons would you jailbreak it for?

3. myessail thread starter macrumors newbie

myessail

I'm not really sure what jailbreaking does that's so great, so that's what I'm wondering... :cool:

4. myessail thread starter macrumors newbie

myessail

I also want to know if it's reversible, (I'm going to use greenpois0n), and if it will do any permanent damage to my device.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I jailbroke my 4g touch and I have no regrets. Theres a lot of cool stuff that you can do on your ipod by using Cydia and Winterboard. It is reversible. All you have to do is restore your ipod to the factory settings and then sync with itunes. Don't use greenpois0n. Use limera1n. It's the most simple jailbreak.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

7. myessail thread starter macrumors newbie

myessail

I Jailbroke with greenpois0n, and uninstalled it. I just didn't like it. Will Apple be able to tell that I jailbroke? Also, it's a 32gb, and it says I have 29 or so gb left after I restored it, but I didn't put anything on?

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Your link is broken.

9. BaBayOOsa macrumors member

keep in mind you're warranty wont be valid if you do jailbreak same with you're apple care

10. MacbookAlum1536 macrumors regular

MacbookAlum1536

No as long as you restored as a new device then there will be no evidence of the jailbreak and yes the 29 GB is correct as with computers the actual capacity is less because they use different algorithms to determine disc size and the rest is the factory operating system. Also I believe Jailbreaking to be completely overrated as I have jailbroken multiple devices for very few choices and a large hit in performance.
    Straight from the horse's mouth....
    http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

Attached Files:

11. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Before offering advice learn the difference between your and you're, THEN offer the CORRECT advice.

It is true technically that jailbreaking will void your warranty, except jailbreaking is only software based.

This means if you 'restore' in iTunes to factory firmware, you will 're-gain' your warranty and Apple will have ABSOLUTELY NO idea that you jailbroke your iPod.

And it's nearly impossible to do any permanent damage to your iPod in attempting to jailbreak it, the most damage you could do would having to restore your iPod.

P.S. if you don't have any reasons for jailbreaking / know what it's for, then chances are you don't really need it. When you try to do something on your device and you can't, there's most likely a jailbreak solution for it and that's when you should jailbreak it.

12. myessail thread starter macrumors newbie

myessail

I restored it as a new iPod, so its fine now?

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

yep. Back to normal

14. Snoopyshoes macrumors newbie

Snoopyshoes

Man, I hope your right cause then there is hope.

I had a very difficult time attempting to Jailbreak my iPod Touch 2G 8gig MC model running 4.1

The first time I was able to downgrade the firmware to 4.0 and use Jailbreakme.com however, my iPod would not go into DFU mode at all, no matter what I tried so my downgrade wasn't a 'clean' downgrade and the iPod didn't run well at all plus there was some pixilation in the screen. I restored it back to factory settings and studied some more.

I was able to discover a modification to the ipsw file that would force the iPod into DFU mode after it was loaded. I thought great! I'll give that a try.

Well, I didn't do it quite right, there were various reasons for this but all told I modified the wrong file. My iPod will not turn on, Windows XP Pro informs me that my device is corrupt or damaged and it will not 'see' the iPod.

I really don't want to accept the fact that modifying a file would physically damage the hardware, but the iPod is a coaster right now.

What point am I trying to make? Well, you should know that yeah, it is possible to hurt your iPod, so be careful and read the directions a BUNCH of times. If the directions don't fit your situation to at least a 95% look for another option. If you can't find something that fits, wait. But, never, never give up!

It's your device, do with it what you will.

:D

15. JbNoob, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

JbNoob macrumors newbie

Of course

Firstly, you have to know what jailbreaking it. JB'ing is basically customizing your iDevice - see, Apple limits you to an amount of things to change. Jailbreaking broadens it. A LOT.... Jailbreaking also has other uses - To enable ios 4 features like multitasking, and most important for many, the ability to get free applications :p
    I highly recommend jailbreaking, but it will slow your device down if you download things like Winterboard.

Jailbreaking will void your warranty, but not many people need it anyway. You could wait for one year and then jailbreak, whatever you prefer :)

Happy Jailbreaking ;)