Should I jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bachelier, Jun 13, 2011.

1. bachelier, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

bachelier macrumors member

I have a jailbroken 3GS with 3.1.3.
    I had it for almost 2 years and never updated the OS. I have a lot of apps and games. I'm eligible to update this summer but since iphone 5 will not be out till September, I was thinking about updating to 4.0.1 and try a new OS. would be like getting a new iphone in a way. ;)

Do you think it's worth it to update my OS? One downside of 3.1.3: not being able to use flash. However I have a lot of stuff on my iphone with all the setup.

If I upgrade do you think I should get OS 5 or stick with 4.0.1?

thanks

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

So you want to get ios4.0.1? Impossible. 4.3.3 is the only option.

And you ask to jailbreak in the topic and then you ask if you should upgrade to ios5 in the post??????

This thread screams fail and confusion.

3. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

The answer to your question is what advantage is a Jailbreak to you ? If it is only about getting a few apps they you will seldom use, or because you're board then what's the point?

It you were in to the whole Jailbreak idea, you would have done so by know.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

4. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

I am totally confused.

You say you're on 3.1.3, and suddenly you say you're on 4.0.1? If you upgrade now you can ONLY update to 4.3.3.

If you want 5.0 you will need to authenticate your UDID with a developer. Jailbreaking has nothing to do with it.

If you want Flash on your iPhone, then yes, you should jailbreak. If you don't want Flash, there is no reason to.

Hope that answers all your questions.

5. bachelier thread starter macrumors member

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/06/07/ios-5-jailbroken/

who fails?! ;)

6. bachelier thread starter macrumors member

sorry for the confusion. my 3.1.3 iphone is already jailbroken. I cannot have or use an iphone without jailbreaking it.

So I guess 4.0.1 is impossible. that's weird? How come?

The sticky thread by jav6454 has all the links to different OS versions. And states one can upgrade to whatever version they like.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=983491
    I haven't been up to date on the jailbreak scene since I did my phone last year.
    thanks

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Any updates are signed on Apple's servers. That's why you wouldn't be able to update to 4.0.1. Generally speaking, you can only upgrade or downgrade to versions that you have already been on. This is if you have SHSH blobs stored for the updates.

By Flash, do you mean flash player? Also by Flash, do you mean Frash? IMO, Frash is just an Android webkit port for iOS Safari. It's very limiting and causes all sorts of issues.

8. labman, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

if you had jailbroken in the past. then you might have been able to go too 4.0.1 but since you never have. the latest firmware 4.3.3 would be the only option. And no going back after. 3G phones and below do not require shsh blobs. I'd leave it alone for now jb unlock and sell it. (You will get more money.) when you decide to get your new phone. then maybe jb it at least to save blobs.

Edit: go to cydia or search and see if you have blobs saved or use tiny umbrella. in your 1st post it was like you never updated the firmware or jailbroke your device.

9. geiman macrumors newbie

Well to say this topic is a bit confusing would be an understatement; with that said:

If you are jailbroken, and you use Cydia every so often, chances are your SHSH blobs have been saved for each new firmware that has come out. If you google around for how to use the SHSH blobs saved by Cydia, you should be able to upgrade to 4.x just fine.

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you are going to upgrade, it will be to 4.3.3. By the way you presented yourself, I'm going assume you're a newbie and know nothing about developer accounts, so iOS 5 is not yet an option for you. Wait until it is officially released in September. All that's out right now is a dev beta that is available if you pay the $99 for the dev account. Apple also recommends that you do not use the beta on your main device.

Update to 4.3.3 and jailbreak with Redsn0w and make your posts more clear please.

11. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

This thread frightens and confuses me.
    [​IMG]

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you can restore to any firmware you have the blobs saved for, but you have to save the blobs when apple is still signing that firmware, to add to the confusion if you have your blobs save for 3.1.3 then you update to 4.3.3 then save those blobs tiny umbrella might save the blobs for the firmwares your missed between the 2 you have

heres my example i was on 4.1 - saved my blobs stayed on 4.1 untill 4.3.3 was jailbreakable, updated to 4.3.3 saved those blobs then tiny umbrella automatically saved 4.2.1 for me so i was able to restore to 4.2.1

13. sbddude macrumors 6502a

What's the advantage of 4.0.1 over 4.3.3? If you are trying to stay unlocked then you can use pwnagetool to preserver your baseband from 3.1.3 (don't know the baseband version) and still be able to unlock it.

I did this just a week ago with a friend's 3gs (3.1.3 > 4.3.3, baseband preserved).

pwnagetool also has the advantage that it's already jailbroken.

Here's the steps:

1. backup in itunes
    2. make a list of all your cydia packages and sources installed
    3. download pwnagetool and ipsw
    4. use pwnagetool to make custom ipsw
    5. shift + restore in itunes
    6. use cydia to install all your packages as before
    7. restore your backup

all of your apps and settings will be there.