Should I jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 2bar, Mar 2, 2012.

1. 2bar macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi I'm new to the iPhone scene as my iPhone 4s is my first iPhone.

My question is should i jailbreak my phone and why or why not?

I have a 2 year contract with AT&T and no insurance on my phone.

Also, I have jail broken my very old iPod touch and wasn't really too impressed to I just reverted back.

Thanks for any replies.

2. eclipse01, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

time for the daily "should I Jailbreak my IOS device or not?" topic.

short answer yes if you want to max out the full potential of your IOS device, if you are fine with your stock device and don't want to risk messing things up then don't....simple as that!

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should be asking yourself.
    I dont think any stranger will know what you like or dont and if it will be good for you or not.

4. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

Yes do it, then you can answer your own question.

5. 2bar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply guys but my real question is: what are people opinions and or experiences with jail breaking iPhone 4s's

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I'm on sprint and the only reason I did is for the teather and back up on 3G not wifi. So for me it's great no theams no crazy stuff.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

your in the hack section so most of like it! ;) we have of course a few that don't. Like the people that start the I'm buying a android threads on here. :rolleyes: you can always undo it! just restore as new

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

I pondered the very same question and some helpful members did help me !

I wanted to jailbreak to add some tweaks that helped me on the functionality and use of my iPhone 4.

After that i thought well if apple say i can't have siri then i want it, so i got it !

Theming is nice and helps personalise your iPhone.

The only issue I've come across is winter board that causes a very slight lag when i open up an app. And it is very slight ! Installing barrel helped this too. Some jail breakers don't have this issue also, just to add balance.

My advice is to pay the few bucks for the uncracked versions of the tweaks and do your homework before downloading them to ensure they are stable and don't have a compatibility issue with your previous downloads.

Don't go mad downloading everything in sight.....lol

You would be really unlucky to 'mess up' your iPhone as simply deleting your downloads ,or in the extreme cases restoring the idevice ,will resolve the issue.

While your doing your homework on how to jb and what you can achieve also do a little on what you can do to resolve possible glitches too so your not panicking if it happens.

Not many users revert back to stock after jb which says a lot.

Obviously you will have to be a little patient when a new iOS is released too.

You can see from my reply that I'm not a hardcore jail breaker, changing code within themes etc, but even at my level I'm enjoying the journey.

9. doofusMac macrumors newbie

definitely YES, you should jailbreak. once jailbroken, it's really just a matter of time and personal preference as to what tweaks and apps you will install and become reliant on. here's some that i can't live without:

sbsettings (ultimate iPhone control)
    barrel (screen swiping animations)
    biteSMS (best msging app)
    cyntact (display pictures in your contact lists)
    gpSPhone (gameboy advance emulator - POKEMON!)
    displayrecorder (record your iPhone screen as a .MOV)
    screensplitr (display your iPhone screen live on your computer)
    iFile (access to all files and folders on your iPhone)

just to name a few :)
    Video tutorial here for jailbreaking iOS 5.0.1, enjoy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFxCelRJcL8