Should I Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Superperson, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Superperson macrumors newbie

So, I really want to jailbreak my 1.1.2 iPod Touch and install cool apps on it, but my dad basically won't let me...he and I are both worried that it'll screw up my touch permanently and that it's not even worth it. I need to convince him that jailbreaking is risk-free...but do I even need to? Should I just wait until MacWorld to see if there's an SDK? I can't afford to lose my touch, so what's the worst-case scenario for jailbreaking? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

You can pretty much always restore using iTunes and suffer no damage to anything if something goes wrong. I jailbroke in about 10 minutes and helped about 3 other people do it too. It's the simplest hacking method I have ever seen and I have hacked a lot of stuff. I recommend doing it but I will likely be upgrading to 1.1.3 anyway if it fixes some of the crash issues and then I will just wait for the SDK. Jailbreaking is fun though and I recommend it there are some cool things out there. If you wanted I could even walk you guys through it.

3. tefleming macrumors 6502

Agreed.

Weren't there going to be limitations on the SDK that might not allow some of the more fun apps we have now? i.e. using official SDK apps might make using the iPhone apps more difficult (esp since Apple isn't going to allow a mail client).

4. GUILTIE macrumors regular

I was worried too

I too was worried it would mess up my iPod. I really wanted cool stuff on it, but for $400, i tought it was too big a risk. One of my friends did it so I tried jailbreaking, and it has worked fine. I jailbroke mine in about 10 minutes too, and it was so easy! I'm glad I did b/c some of the apps are really cool, and now It looks awesome and stands out with some uber themes :) And you can always restore it through iTunes like the other guy said.

5. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Youtube and ipodtouchmaster will be your best friend ;)

6. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

I a bit worried about jailbreaking as well. I just bought my ipod touch a couple days ago and never really hacked any type of electronic device before. Just figured I'd mess something up, so I didn't bother, but seeing how cool screen looks with all the 3rd party apps, I figured I might have to try this.

7. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I jailbroke mine in about 20 minutes with Bowlerguy10's help. I know a bunch of people who jailbroke and none have problems. I suggest it, have this guy help you. All the apps, especially iPhone apps, are awesome.

8. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

Jailbreaking

I got my iPod yesterday and couldn't be happier with it (posting this on my Touch right now). Basically I'm wondering what offline apps there are that would make me change my mind about jailbreaking. The web apps from apple along with gMail have me more than satisfied as far as that goes, but if there are any offline apps that are really worth it I may reconsider. Thanks for any advice.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You can't really mess up the ipod unless (maybe) if you update the ipod with a new firmware from iTunes without first restoring the ipod. The Third party Apps are okay, but I jailbroke mine to have a mail client. (is there a good 3rd party mail client? I don't really like the iPhone one, but if it's the only one I'll still use it)

10. SixersFan macrumors newbie

Definitely

I Jailbroke mine in 10 min on the first try and it is great. The iPhone apps alone are worth it. I use mail everyday, and weather, stocks, and maps are the best (much easier than going to the web). The other apps are "nice to haves". My brother messed his jailbreak up 4 times (didn't follow directions) before getting it right and each time a simple restore fixed everything.