Should I just buy the Apple 24" Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jay Kayess, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Jay Kayess macrumors newbie

I am more confused than when I started researching a 24+" monitor to go with my new MacBook Pro. TN panels, IPS, dot pitch, response time, etc. have overwhelmed me.

I am relatively new to computers. I will be using it mainly for the internet and my husband will use it for gaming (that's why I got the 266, I think).

I just hate to go into a store and ask a sales rep what to buy.... but my researching the forum hasn't helped me much.

Why do so many Mac lovers look elsewhere for a monitor? Is it just the price? I would love to get a recommendation from someone on one or more monitors that include a camera, good speakers, good for gaming, etc.

Thanks for any insight and/or advice.

2. Jay Kayess thread starter macrumors newbie

So, am I asking something I shouldn't . . . ?

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

For most, including myself, the 24" apple display is just too expensive. Sure it's convenient to go along with my macbook pro but for about $500 less I can get a more than sufficient Dell display. I don't require having the best panel available nor do I require having a webcam built in and all the other special features that come along with the Apple, I need just a monitor. Sure it looks amazing and really is a great monitor but I, personally, cannot justify the price. If you can, more power to you and enjoy the great display.

4. Mediaformae macrumors newbie

Mediaformae

I won't

I agree.

Apple Monitors are too expensive compared with competitors. The only advantage they have, for people in need of colour accuracy like me is that the 24" monitor is LED backlit, which results in greater and more reliable colour reproduction, almost imerdiate response, wider angle of view (altough the numbers are not mouch differnte from TFT's, the image doesn't fade way as quickly with angle shift) and greater control in colour temperature.

But Film people like me are using Dell's and other monitor brands. I've seen it and I realy like the look.

That hekped me to conclude that Apple monitors are not worth the price, specaily if you don't have any specific need.