Should I just buy the Mini now?

Noimus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
16
0
Hey guys. I am a Windows user who wants to switch over to a mac. I am NOT a graphics designer, gamer, or even video editor. I don't even want to use any of those heavy applications. I am basically just a guy who uses the PC for browsing, downloading, watching some videos here and there, etc. I am all about efficiency and speed. Also I leave my computer on almost all the time except once a week I restart it. It's usually on sleep.

I am leaning towards the i5 mac mini w/ 16gb of RAM. I'll get an SSD later, broke college student right now. I already have a 24 inch monitor and I'm going to get the apple keyboard and trackpad. My question is, should I buy the mini now? I know the new mini's come out soon but I don't feel like waiting. I'm always anxious. My windows runs fine, I just hate how it doesn't sync with all my other apple devices. What would you guys do in my situation?
 

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
1,091
1
Buy now. Don't pay Apple $300 for 16bg of ram, buy aftermarket at Crucial, OWC or Kingston. And there's no need to restart a Mac once a week.

EDIT: There will always be a new model with new features that someone will tell you you must wait for and toss terms out like the 'future proof' fiction. The phrase 'future proof' is meaningless.
 
Last edited:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
5,040
451
www.emiliana.cl/en
Hey guys. I am a Windows user who wants to switch over to a mac. I am NOT a graphics designer, gamer, or even video editor. I don't even want to use any of those heavy applications. I am basically just a guy who uses the PC for browsing, downloading, watching some videos here and there, etc. I am all about efficiency and speed. Also I leave my computer on almost all the time except once a week I restart it. It's usually on sleep.
Then the Haswell-based Mac mini, especially with Mavericks (OS X 10.9) is perfect for you.

I am leaning towards the i5 mac mini w/ 16gb of RAM. I'll get an SSD later, broke college student right now. I already have a 24 inch monitor and I'm going to get the apple keyboard and trackpad. My question is, should I buy the mini now? I know the new mini's come out soon but I don't feel like waiting. I'm always anxious. My windows runs fine, I just hate how it doesn't sync with all my other apple devices. What would you guys do in my situation?
Yeah, enough RAM is necessary, if you plan to use your Mac longer than 1 year. I would wait for the Haswell Mac mini, because i think it is not wise to invest your money in a less efficient, less future proof Ivy Bridge Mac mini. You have already a Windows machine, which works fine, so that you can wait a few weeks/months.
 

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
2,574
34
I agree. The benefits of Haswell don't really apply here, since battery life is a non-issue and faster graphics don't matter to you.

HOWEVER, If you wait a few weeks for the back-to-school specials, you'll get it with a $100 iTunes gift card that's good on online purchases made through iTunes, the iBookstore or the Mac App store. (NOT purchases at the Apple store).

Whether you wait or not, make sure to get educational pricing. The 16 GB of RAM will only cost $125 or so third party. But I'd also suggest holding off on that. Your needs should be just fine on 4 GB and you can add extra on at any time, so why not see how it goes on 4? The price of extra RAM will only go down in time, not up.
 

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
4,530
286
Dark Castle
You can pull the trigger now, only if you want to spare that Mac Mini next year as a 'Media Center' and then updating to the newer release.
Otherwise wait.
 

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
916
70
Austin, TX
Yeah, enough RAM is necessary, if you plan to use your Mac longer than 1 year. I would wait for the Haswell Mac mini, because i think it is not wise to invest your money in a less efficient, less future proof Ivy Bridge Mac mini. You have already a Windows machine, which works fine, so that you can wait a few weeks/months.
The last two Mini updates have taken over 400 days each, which means it's quite possible we may not even see an update this year. Unlike the OP I actually am a graphic designer and animator, and I bought a new dual 2.6ghz i7 Mini about month ago. It's plenty fast for the work I do, if a new Mini comes out mine will still be plenty fast.

For what the OP is doing a base Mini will be fine, just add aftermarket RAM after purchase as has been mentioned.
 

Cape Dave

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
1,951
1,093
Northeast
I got my mini last week and added RAM that I got on Amazon and it was proper Apple RAM for I think $125 for 16GB. Corsair, I believe. Lifetime warranty. Nice!

BE VERY CAREFUL taking out and putting in the RAM. I screwed the pooch doing mine. tried to bend something I thought needed bending and a microscopic piece of black plastic the size of a quarter of a grain of rice broke off from somewhere and jumped at me. Damn. This is NOT your desktop RAM install :(

So, easy does it and you will be fine. I had done a few lappy RAM upgrades with no issues, but this is very delicate.
 

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
Mini, buy now

I got my mini last week and added RAM that I got on Amazon and it was proper Apple RAM for I think $125 for 16GB. Corsair, I believe. Lifetime warranty. Nice!

BE VERY CAREFUL taking out and putting in the RAM. I screwed the pooch doing mine. tried to bend something I thought needed bending and a microscopic piece of black plastic the size of a quarter of a grain of rice broke off from somewhere and jumped at me. Damn. This is NOT your desktop RAM install :(

So, easy does it and you will be fine. I had done a few lappy RAM upgrades with no issues, but this is very delicate.
Buy now, or future proof by waiting a few years.

You'll be able to upgrade to Mavericks for $20

Enjoy
 

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
2,186
15
I am leaning towards the i5 mac mini w/ 16gb of RAM. I'll get an SSD later, broke college student right now. I already have a 24 inch monitor and I'm going to get the apple keyboard and trackpad. My question is, should I buy the mini now? I know the new mini's come out soon but I don't feel like waiting. I'm always anxious. My windows runs fine, I just hate how it doesn't sync with all my other apple devices. What would you guys do in my situation?
The current Mini is a VERY capable machine that will more than meet your needs. We don't know when the new one will come out, and it won't offer a meaningful improvement to you.
 

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
1,787
1,756
OP: Ignore advice like this. There's no such thing as 'future proof'.:rolleyes:
Ummm, was that not what s/he was saying..?:confused:


I'm also in the 'buy now conundrum' and I keep switching between yes and no. Like you OP, I don't need it now and could wait, but is there any real point if the next model won't do much more than the current one.

Aaaarrrggh. *first world problems!*
 

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
1,787
1,756
The person I quoted was advising the OP to 'future proof by waiting a few years' which is gibberish.
Or sarcasm, implying the exact opposite of what you're thinking, thus effectively saying what you are saying; i.e. you're repeating what he said.

Whatever. Doesn't really matter. Perhaps Engliah is not your home language. Happy days.

BTW I agree with you, 'Future Proof' is a bit of a misnomer, but if we take the less literal meaning there can be some value in thinking ahead.
 

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2012
1,830
1,370
An island in the Andaman Sea.
Buy now, or future proof by waiting a few years.

You'll be able to upgrade to Mavericks for $20

Enjoy
OP: Ignore advice like this. There's no such thing as 'future proof'.:rolleyes:
Jedi Master was being facetious.....

Buy a Mini now if you need a computer now. Add as much RAM as you feel you need. Upgrade the OS as the upgrades come out. It should last you a good few years.

My early 2009 Mini has seen addition of 4GB of RAM (it now has 5 GB) and a couple of OS upgrades (now on Mountain Lion, and it looks like it will be good for Mavericks). It looks good for a few more years, likely with a HDD replacement some time, and maybe more RAM if it seems to need it. For now my simple needs are served just fine.

If you don't need a new computer now.... but want a Mac, buy now.

If you don't need a new computer, and can wait, then wait. You'll buy the latest that will soon no longer be the latest.
 

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
17,659
5,766
As mentioned above, the historical interval between the introduction of new Mac Minis has been one of Apple's longest. I'll predict that there won't be a new Mini until at least December this year, or possibly January/February 2014. So if you'd really like one now, buy now -- or be prepared for at least a 6-month wait. I could be wrong.

Don't get 16mb of RAM from the factory, get 8mb instead and add more later IF you need it. I suggest you use the Mini in day-to-day service for a little while, and see how it runs on 8mb. You may be pleasantly surprised.

BUT -- spend the extra $$$ up front and get the i7 CPU instead of the i5. The CPU is one thing that you CANNOT add later. Get the i7 now, and you won't regret it in the future. After all, did you not write above that "I am all about efficiency and speed…" ??

When it comes time to add the SSD, you should be aware that you don't have to open up the Mini to install it if you don't wish to. Instead, get either an external enclosure OR a USB3/SATA "dock", and create an "external booter". Simplifies things and it will boot and run at speeds that are all-but indistinguishable from an internally-installed drive.