Should I just get a refurb macbook while waiting for new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thinkband, May 1, 2008.

  1. thinkband macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2007
    #1
    Hello and good morning to everyone on MR.

    Here is my issue, I am a student and need a new laptop by September at the latest. All these rumors about a case redesign (MBP) make me sort of cringe because I am within a month of buying a new MBP. Early June is an ideal time to buy a laptop for me and I just do not want to buy a new MBP at $2k a pop right before the case redesign.

    I am just guessing the design will come late this year to early next year (Feb at the latest?) and I need a laptop by then. The thing is, I do not even think I need a MBP. I mostly wanted the faster processor and better graphics card so I could play games. A bigger screen as well. But, I could put the $1k I saved into a custom gaming desktop.

    I do basic tasks such as internet and music and some photoshop CS3. I noticed the MB screen has a lower resolution and it is small compared to the MBP. It would be good and portable to get around the campus and I could come back to a sweet set up in my dorm room.

    So here is the question:

    1) Is it a good idea to get a refurb macbook NOW instead of a MBP just because I cannot wait any longer and when the new update happens, I can decide to sell my laptop or just keep it because I might just like the macbook the best anyways? How much would a macbook refurb bought for $1000 be worth in 6 months?

    2) Should I just forget about the MBP alltogether because I only really wanted it for its luxuries such as the alu body and backlight keyboard. Macbook + gaming pc > macbook pro for a college student who likes computer games?

    Thanks everyone and I know I sort of jumped around. I'll come back to clear things up if anything is too confusing.
     
  2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

    digitalnicotine

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #2
    If I were you, I'd get a MB in mid June, and forget about the MBP. Go with the gaming PC route in addition to the MB, rather than the MBP. The higher resolution, backlit keyboard, and potential redesign are eye candy, and unnecessary for your needs. They don't compensate for the additional cost/wait time.

    In 6 months, if you decide to go the MBP/Gaming PC route, your MB will retain a decent resale for 2 reasons. First of all, people don't like change, and when they change the MB's to aluminum, there will be plenty of people who will hate it, and want the old white or blackbook back. You can see this on MR with people who prefer the iBook design, and still covet them, even though they're sluggish compared to todays version.

    There are always people looking for previous model Apple laptops, so you'll be able to sell it if you want. I think you'll like it too much, though. It's just too perfect for a college students needs. ;) For a mid to hard core gamer, the MBP will probably only piss you off in comparison to a desktop gaming PC anyway.

    Another thing. If you decide on the MB in June, and 6 months later want something more powerful for stationary use, the iMac would be a better option than the MBP anyway, (when you already have the MB). Not to mention the fact that your educational discount will cover 1 notebook and 1 desktop. Good luck to you on whatever you decide. :)
     
  3. bennyboi macrumors regular

    bennyboi

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2006
    Location:
    West Coast
    #3
    Wait for it...

    I see your problem - u should wait to get the mbp, or get the current mbp. I've always touted the alum casing as a BIG selling point. I owned a g4 ibook long ago and was told the plastic, though high quality and durable, does expand when hot (way more than alum), and gives more room for parts to move. Everyone I knew back then always had problems with their ibooks and a computer tech told me he sees way more problems b/c of the casing than the alum powerbooks. The luxuries are worth it. And if u like casual gaming, it might be the system for u. the mb will not get u there due to poor grfx card.
    I feel the mbp's luxuries and durability will give u a better system. Getting a current mbp makes more sense if u can't wait vs. getting a mb and trying to sell it. Rumor is, they're aluminizing the macbooks too, as they did with the imac, which would make your mb harder to sell. Plastic's days are numbered at apple for a reason. Maybe it'll live in the macbook air for weight issues. Good luck!
    Hopefully I don't get yelled at by macbook owners :(
     
  4. thinkband thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2007
    #4
    Thanks for the replies... I just don't know what to do. I know that I am going to feel bad when the mbp's get a design overhall... I just cannot wait more than a couple more months. Thats why a refurb mb sounds so good right now. It would be sellable when that day comes and I would hopefully lose
    <$200 in the process.

    Although, I quite like the current MBP's and I am sure I would be okay if I could just ignore what Apple was doing... basically never coming on these forums again :). I don't really care about the keyboard... the size of the MBP is small enough... and I am sure it will be fast enough for my uses which are fairly lite.

    I have always been a gamer.. on and off with the computer because I hate windows... but I have a couple consoles (wii and xbox360). Since I don't think I will bring those to college, I'd like to have a computer that could play similar games and I know that Mac won't give me that no matter what system I buy.

    All and all...I am currently leaning towards just buying the mbp and never looking back. It seems people on these forums are pretty happy with it. Anyone else have any feelings for my case? I plan to make my own gaming computer which will cost $1000 so i might just get the mbp and get a summer job to buy the components to take with me tocollege. :apple:
     
  5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #5
    I'd wait until the WWDC in June to see if they introduce a new case. If not, I would go ahead and get one then.
     

Share This Page