Should I just get an iMac or Mac Pro now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Oct 16, 2009.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

So no updates today...Should I just go ahead and get an iMac or Mac Pro?

My uses are iPhoto, Lightroom, Photoshop, iMovie, iDvd, encoding and decoding videos, garageband, EyeTV as well...Not a professional though.

I'm moving from a Dell Core 2 Quad..Just having a frustrating time trying to edit video on this thing.

2. Disarm macrumors member

Do you have any needs for your computer to be portable? If not, get the iMac. I already have a MB Pro, and i am getting an iMac soon. I only got the MB Pro because i am using it for school.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It depends on what iMac you get. The Mac Pro will obviously be faster, but considering you are not a professional, the iMac is probably a smarter choice.

4. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Not really. Live in an apartment and am always right at my desk anyway. Unless the wife, kid and I move to a house, I won't be needing a laptop...That's an excuse to get a laptop at that time ;-)

I was thinking I can order this now and if new Macs come out next week, then I can always return this one unopened and get a new one. If it takes longer for the macs to come out, then I'm kinda screwed, cuz I don't want to wait that long.

5. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm looking at the 2.93, GT 120 graphics one..That seems to be the best value.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You haven't really defined your needs. An iMac is great but if you need power get the Mac Pro.

7. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

i listed my uses.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Even if you wait and get the newest ones, it'll still be outdated in 6 months. I'd say to just buy and enjoy it. It's not like you "need" more power. Only wait if you don't need it right now, want to wait, or don't care.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Let me be more clear, I meant how are you using those apps? Honestly I feel like it has to be asked because the last knucklehead I helped said he used all those apps but by use he meant "has launched them".

But the iMac will suit your needs. I use the majority of what you use extensively for the most part and I hardly task my Mac Pro.

10. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

go for the imac...its a beautiful machine...

check out the refurb section also...you might get a good deal...it would be great to save a $100-$200(for your future MBP:rolleyes:)...refurbs are just like new:)

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Get the iMac. It's great. My dad just bought one after I converted him. :)

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you ask this question, the answer is usually the iMac.

13. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

refurb Is the only way to go. No matter what, I'm going refurb

14. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

I like to make slideshows and short videos of my daughter no also like to manage my photos in lightroom and do editin and hdr wrk in photoshop. I want to export my videos with iDVD and edit with iMovie. I also plan on using my hauppauge tv tuner for HDTV. I like to record hd shows on My windows pc, so I want to switch that to the mac as well. It's nice to watch tv at the same time as working as well. Not sure if that makes a big difference though.

15. stever500 macrumors regular

FYI - I found it's actually cheaper to go with an educational discount than refurb, for me, if I get the AppleCare, iWorks, and wireless mouse and keyboard. Adding it all up, the discounting is a bit better on a new one w/that educational discount on the other items.

I'm in the same boat as you but I CAN and will wait the extra 2 weeks till the new ones come out. A lady at the Apple Store actually told me to wait for a newly redesigned one within the 2 weeks, even though she said she wasn't really supposed to. Nice of her.

16. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

You don't need a Mac Pro to do that. Go iMac.

17. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yea I'm still going to get AppleCare with my edu. discount, but I don't need a wireless mouse and keyboard, so that's a waste of money..Nor do I need iWork.

Well if she told you that she was lying, because she doesn't know anything. Retail employees can only guess like us.

Thanks for the advice..I ordered the iMac 24" 2.93. I should get it Thursday. If Apple releases a new iMac next week, I can still get it and return my unopened iMac..So it's really a win-win. :)

18. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

awesome:)
    do it!

19. JCP21 macrumors member