Should I just go for the plain Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wotanub, Jan 30, 2010.

1. wotanub macrumors newbie

I'm sick of waiting for a MBP refresh, and I was told today that in i5, and i7 processors would probably only be in the high end MBPs when they come out (I don't have the cash for that! My budget is about 1200 USD)

I was thinking I should just go ahead and get the plain Macbook with upgraded RAM, CPU and HD space. I'm a student that does some word processing, internet, and the occasional Photoshop/Flash/Dreamweaver. I want to run Windows 7 with parallels. I have to move around a lot.

You think the current Macbooks would last me about 3 years with these needs?

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Or maybe consider a refurb Macbook Pro. They run $1099 in canada, which is the same as the vanilla Macbook.

3. Paul B macrumors 6502

4. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Just get the $899 MB. I was able to install and run Illustrator and After Effects on a dell Mini netbook and actually use them, so I'm sure the core2duo processor would be a LOT better!

In 3 years you can sell it and upgrade to a better Mac.

5. maddan macrumors regular

Wouldn't the $1,199 Pro have better resell value after 3 years? Due to the fact that the Macbooks will be over 5 years old by then? I know it is a little off topic... but something to think about.

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Macbooks and Macbook Pros would be 5 years old if you sold them 5 years later.

7. maddan macrumors regular

I meant the line itself; usage is obvious, but the fact that MacBooks would be "older" models than the Pros is what I was getting at.

8. jegbook macrumors regular

The current MacBooks are the first generation of a new unibody polycarbonate, so the line is brand spankety.

I think the white MacBook would likely suit you just fine. I might give some thought, though, if you think Firewire or the SD slot would helpful.

How desperate are you? The refresh is likely to come within two months, though you have a point about possibly not much coming to the 13" MBP.

Overall, I reckon you can't go wrong.

Lastly, $.02 of advice, I recommend Fusion 3. Admittedly, I haven't used Parallal's at all, but I've been using Fusion since version 1, and they've all been great. Currently I use Fusion 3 with Windows 7 and it's still great.

Good luck!

9. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1
    Refurbs are awesome. You'll get a better machine at the same price. If you don't want to buy a MBP then go for a MB refurb...atleast you'll save some money.

10. wotanub thread starter macrumors newbie

How desperate? It keeps varying throughout the day because one guy on my shoulder is saying "You can just use the Dell they loaned you until the new MBP comes," and the other guy is all, "but you KNOW you hate Vista! Get a Mac NOW."

EDIT: All the refurb MBPs are $2000, and there are no MBs :mad:

11. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Don't let anyone pressure you, use what you feel comfortable using, the White Macbook should suit your needs just fine, however I would consider possibly getting a refurbished 13" Pro myself, it's would be alot more worth it then the White Macbook.

12. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I've been away from Macs for a few months after I sold my MBP 15" last Fall. I've been using a few different Dells since then (I tend to change computers A LOT) and been getting value Inspiron/Studio models as well as Latitudes. I have no problems with Dells they are nice and relatively inexpensive (especially with coupons).

Just got a sweet deal on Craigslist for the new White Unibody Macbook (paid same price as a typical Dell) so jumped on it. Its a nice machine (always had a soft spot for the white polycarbonate models even when I was using the 13" uMB and 15" uMBP's). I can't tell you how much I missed the huge multi-touch glass trackpad. Some of the Dells I used had the "Elan smartpad" which has similar multi-touch gestures (2 finger scrolling) but just never felt right and as accurate as the one on the Macbooks.

If you have a local Microcenter you can get the white Macbook unibody for $999 - $200 Visa/Mastercard gift card (not as good as cash but can still use it) = $799. Tax applies of course. Something to consider although I have a feeling Apple will refresh the MBP/MB's in mid/late February via "silent refresh" on their website

13. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Yea good point I hear Apple Refurbs are great with same warranty and everything. The White Unibody Macbook goes for $849 and the 13" MBP (base 2.26GHz model) goes for like $999 I believe.