Should I just keep requesting checks from Paypal, or is there a (secure) alternative?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Mar 24, 2012.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I use Paypal for a big chunk of my freelance writing transactions. Since I'm paranoid about hackers getting their mitts on my dough, up till now I have always had any new amount that enters my Paypal account immediately mailed to me as a check. Extreme? Maybe, but it seems much safer to me than linking Paypal directly to my bank account, etc. (I currently have it linked to a small credit card that I never actually use). the downside, of course, is that it costs me an extra $1.50 per check and it takes days and days to get my money. Would a Paypal debit card make sense an an alternative, or are there known security issues with them?

2. Elbert C macrumors 6502

IDK about PP debit cards. I've never used one and I don't plan to either. I too don't like the idea of linking PP to my main bank account, but if I really needed to I would just create a new bank account for PP.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

An alternative bank account sounds like a good plan, but if someone did manage to hack into that account, would that person then have access to activity history such as money transfers to my primary account, thus enabling them to perform some kind of lateral hack into the primary account?

Or am I WAY overthinking this? :)

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes. You are fracking paranoid.:p

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Agreed! I've been using their business debit card for years.

6. Elbert C macrumors 6502

If you're so worried about it, don't transfer any funds between your accounts.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've used a PayPal Business Debit card for years. If I don't have anything that I want to buy then I have the funds in my account transferred to my checking account. They reward me cash back on purchases every so often and last time was nearly $7.

When I don't plan on selling anything, I remove my checking account. I can add it back at any time and it then remains verified. Unverified when I remove it.