Should I keep files on my HD or move them to my external?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by c0bracommander, Jan 15, 2010.

1. c0bracommander macrumors member

Hi all,

I'll try to keep this short.

I just ordered a WD Mybook Studio for the Mac. I plan to use it to sync with Time Machine along with putting my all my videos, music, etc. on.

I'm kind of an OCD person when it comes to my computer. I have a 500 GB Macbook Pro, and the HD filled with about 100GB of videos. Not videos that I watch all the time either.. I watch them periodically, but I am not always accessing them.

I'm wondering if I should move said media to the external HD and get rid of it on my MB, or keep a copy on both.

2. Princess Cake macrumors member

I keep all my videos on the external and put aliases on the Macintosh HD. Should the external MyBook ever start to show signs of failing like those "skipping" clicks that's when I'll move all the videos until I get a replacement.

3. c0bracommander thread starter macrumors member

4. bocomo macrumors 6502

keep 'em in two places

if it's anything you care about...back it up!

5. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I completely understand where you're coming from. I suggest the external hd option. Actually, I have two backups of my MBP; one on a time capsule and another on a external.

Better safe than sorry.

Habitus :apple:

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

Just use the external as your backup. In that way, you have all your movies (and all other files) if there is an internal HDD failure...and if the external fails, you don't lose your movies since they remain on your internal.

Or buy another external just for the movies (for your purposes, you can find something for aropund $50)...but back that HDD up using TC too. :D

7. c0bracommander thread starter macrumors member

Ha! A recursive external hard drive. I like it.