iPad mini Should I keep iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rezokos, Nov 29, 2013.

1. rezokos macrumors newbie

Hello

Just bought the 1st gen Ipad mini 64gb+cellular for 380$ here where I live (in Scandinavia) and I haven't received it yet but I just wanted to hear your opinions. I have never owned an Apple-product before and I have checked some reviews and the screen just looks awful, I currently have an Samsung galaxy note 2 with HD display and before that i've owned many android devices and tablets with HD display (xoom, n7 1gen)

Do you think I should keep it? Can someone live with that awful screen resolution? I mean just by checking videos (without even seeing it IRL I can tell its pretty bad) but the price was good so I just ordered one. What do you guys think, should I return it?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Will you keep an expensive gadget you're unhappy with if enough anonymous people on the Internet tell you to do so? :confused:

Perhaps you meant to ask a different question or I've misunderstood what you're asking for?

Anyway, my vote: If you're not happy with it, send it back.

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The time to ask questions would have been before you committed to purchasing it, but with that stated- just realize, as fair as GameStop is in their buying practices for Apple devices, they only offered me $40. for mint 64GB iPad 1.

(I kept it at that offer.)

4. rezokos thread starter macrumors newbie

No, only suggestions. I am just wondering if the screen is really that bad

----------

I can still return it so there is no problem, the offer was just limited and there was limited quantity of the ipad mini that is why I bought first and then start digging deeper :rolleyes::p

5. mechanopony macrumors member

mechanopony

[/COLOR]

I can still return it so there is no problem, the offer was just limited and there was limited quantity of the ipad mini that is why I bought first and then start digging deeper :rolleyes::p[/QUOTE]

You could always try to flip it in your country, especially if you got it as a deal. You will probably be disappointed with the screen quality, but someone else could be happy with it. :)

6. rezokos thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it still decent for watching movies? And is the price good that I paid for it?

7. calvol macrumors 6502a

I would keep the N7 if display quality is your primary concern. The display-review site pretty much trashed the retina screen compared to the N7 and Kindle HDX7.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think the iPad Mini 1 is great. The comments about the bad screen are exaggerated. Millions of people literally enjoy it every day.

9. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

It has the same screen as iPad 2 - and I was perfectly fine with watching movies on it. Yes, retina is better, but I think you should at least wait until you receive it and see if you like it

10. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

I've decided, after careless research, that the perceived quality of iPad screens is directly related to the user's age. People over 50 find next to no difference between retina displays and non-retina displays; people under thirty are convinced people over fifty must be blind.

11. Capt T macrumors 6502a

The other day I was using a friends 1g mini, while using my air. The screen look just fine to me. Do I prefer my air, sure...hence why I bought it. But found no reason to think the 1g mini screen looked horrible.

12. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Agree with your comments and only to add, the Mini's screen is arguably better than the iPad 2 as it has a higher pixel density.

Enjoy your Mini rezokos.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Yes it isn't retina but it is still very usable, in spite of how some people make it seem like it is using sandpaper on your eyes.

14. mtntrance macrumors member

The only reason I got retina minis over gen 1 minis for my kids is the 1 GB ram and A7 so that they run the iOS better and to future proof. Another year or two of longevity was worth it to me.

15. rezokos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions, I haven't really had the chance to go to the store and check on one. I will do that tommorow.

But now I remember I owned the OG Motorola Xoom (when it was first released, it's an GED device first android tablet to have honecomby) and I checked on the screen resolution it is 1280x800 with 150 ppi. The Ipad mini has an higher PPI with 163 PPI if I am correct.

I had no issues with the Motorola xoom screen quality

16. rezokos thread starter macrumors newbie

I just went to the store and looked at the ipad mini 1st gen, and tbh it wasn't that bad! It was really great! I was impressed and thought it would be really awful but the reviewers are really harsh regarding the screen. Sure, next to the ipad mini 1st gen was the new ipad air with retina and it was more clear in the viewing angles and so on but the diffrence is not that noticable. I think I am going to keep it :eek:

So for you out there who has never owned an Ipad or Apple product before and is considering the ipad mini 1st gen I say go for it if you get a good price.

PS. The screen is much much better than my previous tablet motorola xoom with 150 ppi

Hopefully you'll see me around here in the forums!

Cheers

PPS. Can anyone recommend a good case and a good screen protector? I am using the iSmooth screen protector on my Note 2 and I saw that Amazon had one for the Ipad mini http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Retin...e=UTF8&qid=1385916425&sr=1-5&keywords=iSmooth

But I would like an good anti-glare screen protector. Any tips?

17. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

This comment- unless you're speaking in vague generalities- surprises me not only for content but for lack of understanding the capabilities of those over 50.

18. sharon888 macrumors newbie

I just recently traded in my first generation iPad at Target when they were doing their promotion and got a first generation iPad Mini. For me the screen wasn't the problem with my first gen iPad, it was that it didn't have the memory and horsepower to do a lot of things anymore. For example, web pages that were complex like The Verge and MakeUseOf would crash Safari before I could read them. I took to saving them to Pocket before the inevitable crash so I could read them there. Also, it couldn't be updated past OS 5 so I felt like I was missing out on a lot of apps. Even though the first gen Mini isn't as fabulous as the Retina Mini, it's a big step up from my first gen iPad and was the choice for me since I'm on a tight budget at the moment. If I had unlimited funds I would get an iPad Air. :)

19. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from the original mini to the retina and appreciate the change, but I would never call the original mini screen "awful." It's a great device that served me for the better part of a year. If I didn't spend so much time reading books in pdf format, I wouldn't have upgraded.

20. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

agreed. i just bought a retina mini for my mother in law. might get one for me too. still read on my kindle though...nothing beats reading e-ink in my opinion. my kindle is the last gen regular $80 reader. no lights, no "flash," no problems... it's AWESOME.

I actually never tried reading on an iPad but i'm sure it would be perfectly fine for me as i sometimes read on the kindle app on my laptops...the iPad would certainly be better than that i'm sure - but i still like reading e-ink. there's nothing like it (save a real book of course)

21. rezokos thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't belive I received the ipad with ios 6.0.2

Jailbreak here I come :D

Can anyone recommend any good anti-glare screen protector?

22. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I don't think that the screen looks awful. If you ask me it looks pretty nice. If you're having regrets already and you haven't even received the device then you should return it.

23. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

High-Res Displays Less Appreciated By Older Users

As we age our ability to fully resolve crisp images can deteriorate, due to cataracts, presbyopia (attributable to the loss of elasticity of the lens or to aging ciliary muscles), and other causes. Obviously this degradation isn't uniform or universal, but it wouldn't be surprising that statistically twenty year-old eyes are generally better able to appreciate the higher resolution provided by "retina" screens than are 50+ year-old eyes.

While it's true that modern medical science and technology can often ameliorate the effects of aging eyes, few tasks of ordinary life highlight the loss of visual acuity as much as comparing a retina quality display with one presenting the same image at lower resolution.

(See, inter alia http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-eyesight-deterio

24. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I'm well over 50 and I can sure tell the difference. All my devices are retina. I loved the size of the mini 1st generation but wouldn't buy it because of the non retina display.

25. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123