Should I keep my 15" or 13" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maplingstorie, Mar 23, 2014.

1. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

I've placed an order for a nMP ($3999) and I plan to get sell off either my 15" or 13". I'm mostly going to use the nMP for music production and video editing and some photo editing. It's hard to decide which macbook to keep. I hope some of you can help me decide. It's really a tough decision as one is lighter than the other and one has more performance than the other. :confused: P.S Specs for the mentioned macbooks are below my signature.

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

For the sake of portability and warranty, I would keep the lighter, as well as one year newer 13" rMBP. For those tasks requiring better performance or a larger screen, you're covered with that nMP.

3. TjeuV macrumors 6502

You got your performance in the nMP and the portability in your macbook pro 13". And as the writer above wrote: your 13" is also one year newer. No reason to doubt really?

4. AppleUSA macrumors member

Easy decision for me... I'd have to keep the 13"...

5. Onno macrumors member

Super easy, keep the 13" or even better, sell both and get a 11" MBA ;)

6. skirmisser macrumors member

The classic 13" MBP weighs as much as the retina 15" MBP, so weight should not be an issue...

7. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Sell both and get the all new featherweight 12" retina MBA this coming fall.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you plan to do some work on the go, I would keep the 15"; moving from a nMP to the 15" rMBP isn't much of a performance delta, but going to the 13" rMBP is.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since you're going to be using the nMP as your main computer, I'd say sell the 15" and keep the 13" rMBP. I usually recommend the opposite because my personal preferences are that the 15" MBP is a better tool due to its larger screen and GPU but in this case it seems your laptop will be a secondary machine. Being such the smaller more portable 13" makes more sense.

10. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Most people in this thread might wanna refer to his signature.

I think the owner owns an 13" cMBP and an First gen 15" rMBP.

It's really simple, keep the 15" hands down.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But his thread title states 13" rMP, so if its a 13" rMBP then my advice holds true.

12. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

You're correct, i'll guess we'll have to wait for OP to clarify.

13. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

hey guys. It's clear i'm deciding between the 13" rMBP and 15" rMBP. It's a no brainer to go with the 15" if I were to compare with my 13" cMBP. I've decided to go with my 15". Though I'd really love the portability and battery life the 13" offers, 15" would be the best for me as I will be doing photography, mixing/mastering and some FHD video editing on the go. Thank you all for your contribution in helping me decide. You have my gratitude. :D P.S i've changed my signature few hours ago. Sorry for the confusion :p 13" rMBP(late 2013) is spec at 2.4GHz i5, 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM

14. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular