Should I keep my 360 or exchange it for a PS3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by TheRuggedLion, Jan 1, 2008.

1. TheRuggedLion macrumors member

TheRuggedLion

Well its winter here in Michigan, I'm single, and my life is pretty idle. So I picked up a 360. I've had it for 21 days, and have beaten Halo 3 (great single player game) Marvel alliance, and time shift. But now that the 30 day return policy is almost up I'm questioning on wether I should keep her, or possibly, and thats a BIG possibly, future proof myself and pick up a PS3.

Last year a gaming website did a side by side comparison of the PS3 and the Xbox, and the 360 looked better in almost every game. Now the PS3 has been out for a year, has anything changed? Are game developers getting better at using the power of the ps3, or is the simplicity of the 360 and the power of the xenos GPU still the safer bet?

Things that make me want a PS3 are:

Sexy, quiet, and looks better in a entertainment center

I prefer the interface of the PS3 menus

BluRay!

And free online gaming

But the big turn offs are inferior image quality and possibly more inconsistent FPS.

(forgive my grammar, I typed this out on my iphone)

2. madfresh macrumors regular

I would say go with the PS3. Keeping the 360 without a warranty is just asking for trouble. Unless you don't mind waiting 5 weeks for it to get repaired. The reason why I am saying that is because 360s are not reliable. I had 6 of them and it was a pain dealing with them. The PS3 is getting some good games in, but it seems like a lot of the good games are being delayed. If you want to keep the 360, but still not sure if you want to keep it, you can basically return it now and get another one and you will still have the 30 day in store return policy. :p

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If you like large libraries of diverse games and the best online experience of any games machine; stick with the 360.

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I have two 360s one of them from a month after launch, and have not had a problem with either of them. Having said that though, there are plenty that have failed and I'd get the warranty and replacement. MS covers the unit for some time, three years I believe on the red ring errors.

Its all personal preference. For me the online experience with the 360 can not be matched. I love their arcade games and other downloadable material.

Although the PS3 was slow selling out of the gate, I am sure it is a good experience as well and things will pick up. Personally my next game purchase will be a Wii for the kids.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I love my PS3, but there are a few things about the XBOX that I like better. For example, you can play music from your Mac formatted iPod (both in game and out of game), the media store (HD movie rentals), and a few games that I wish were cross-platform.

In my mind the 360 is better for multimedia and the PS3 is better for gaming (especially free online).

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

BD, are you sure you haven't gotten them switched? The PS3 is for multimedia and the Xbox 360 is for gaming.

(note: this whole post is sarcastic, not serious)

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Sigh, you already made up your mind (you're listing off the menu as being the deciding point?). I'm not trying to be snarky or anything but is there anything anyone could say to change your mind outside of telling you the other console will give you free candy? They all have pluses and minuses. I got a 360 because it has some exclusives I want. I got a Wii before that because it also had some exclusives I wanted (and it has better party games).

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You could purchase the XBOX 360 from COSTCO. Sure I've had 3 fail but COSTCO has an amazing return policy. In fact on one return I got a gift card because there had been a price drop!

I have the PS3 in my room and the 360 in the living room.

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Lots of people I know have 360s so I've used them quite a bit. But I decided to go with a PS3 and I think I made a good decision. I love a lot of the games I got and many games coming out soon look awesome. It still has some good FPSs (Unreal Tournament 3 with FREE PC user made content) and has a much better interface (IMO). In addition it also has a simple to use web browser and supports keyboards. Sure the online isn't as good as Live but it works fine for me. But, on the other hand, the 360 also has many plusses.

And what do you mean by "inferior image quality and possibly more inconsistent FPS"?

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Framerate problems have been an issue on some ported games.

360 also supports keyboard, as does the Wii.

12. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

You mean like Orange Box......

Ya, I know they all support keyboard. I just made a note about it cause it sucks to type in the browser with the controller. And UT3 supports mouse/keyboard I think.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Orange Box and lots of earlier ports (mostly EA games IIRC?).

Still it's Orange Box. It's so perfect on everything else too :(

14. TheRuggedLion thread starter macrumors member

TheRuggedLion

No, Thank you. God bless your soul. The Mods love you, your a local celebrity. NO, your a star. Maybe you should head over to the iMac section and harass the guys that post "Just got my 24" and I LOVE IT!" Hundreds of times. :rolleyes:

Thanks

As for the Menu interface I think it looks more mature, and not as bright and colorful as the xbox, especially when I have females & friends over to watch a movie. I appreciate the input guys, and it sounds like I may just pick it up, and see how I like it. An extended demo if you will. Take care and Happy New Year everyone! :)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wait, this is a deciding factor with a games console?

16. TheRuggedLion thread starter macrumors member

TheRuggedLion

Well I plan on using it for more than just games. Even Sony doesn't call them game consoles anymore.

17. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

lol, hey it is so much nicer looking XMB won an Emmy too didn't it?

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

FWIW you can change the 'Bright Colours' if thats the deciding factor... :rolleyes:

19. TheRuggedLion thread starter macrumors member

TheRuggedLion

Good point. Sometimes the most obvious things are overlooked, I completely forgot about the option to change the themes. I'm not too sure what xmb is, but what I'm trying to get at is the PS3 would fit better in an entertainment center. Its quieter, and just more slick than the 360. Obviously thats not the deciding factor, the gaming is, and thats why I got a 360 originally. I knew it outperformed the PS3 *last year* I was curious to see if developers had gotten better at making games for the PS3, and if they did than the Sony would be the better buy for me.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Bless! :rolleyes:

The point being you pretty much have already made your mind up regardless, so...

Was there anything anyone here could have posted which would have changed your decision ?

You made valid points as to why A) suits you better than B) so what more do you want ? Affirmation from us that your choice is justified ? Because you don't need it, you are quite obviously intelligent enough to make your own decisions.

These type of threads crop up every few days, and usually lead to trouble. There are plenty of threads to help people decide which console is better for them, and that it why I pointed you to other should I buy or ps3 vesus xbox threads.

As for XMB. It stands for Cross Media Bar. Just as the 360 interface is called Blades.

As for games. Developers will improve and push both hardwares, but remember as we have said many times before, both machines are pretty much on a level playing ground hardware wise. One has benefit A) the other benefit B) and with 85% of games being multi-format, regardless of whether you have PS3 or 360, there will be little difference (negligible) between the two. Decisions on games should be made quite simply on 'exclusive' franchises, which probably by the end of this generation there will be even less exclusives other than direct first party titles.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whoa, I had no idea anyone took that seriously. You're not one of these people who reads paid reviews and swears by them? :rolleyes:
    Money bought more than these fake reviews and awards - they bought you ;)

22. TheRuggedLion thread starter macrumors member

TheRuggedLion

I apologize brother, I was just frustrated that the one time I didn't use search, I got called out on it. In a way you're right, I have made up my mind to a certain extent, but I was hoping someone had experienced both, and could have given me their opinion. I guess, I'll be that guy by tomorrow, and I will end this thread with a post comparing the two. Again I do apologize, its a new year, and I hope that we can keep every coming day positive. *Shedding a tear* :p

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Recommendation: Contact the guy who made the thread about exchanging his PS3 for a 360 and just swap consoles.

24. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I've experienced both, and the Xbox 360 gets 90 percent of my game time. The Wii gets 9 percent, and the PS3 gets 1 percent. The only thing I've used it for in two weeks is to watch one Blu-ray movie.

25. Stolencheese macrumors newbie

The PS3 supports regular and even bluetooth keyboards and mice. Also you can add any bluetooth headset you like, I've currently paired mine with my mobile hands free!

Yesterday I traded in like seven games for my Xbox 360 as it broke on Christmas day with no warranty left and I traded them in and some other stuff with a bit of my own money I bought a PS3. First thing I noticed is that it's silent and very sexy looking! Design wise it's brilliant! Can't really comment on the games that much but what use to be "The PS3 has no games, No point" has almost certainly changed.

Also, Sony seemed to have figured out some clever stuff like all controllers come with a USB cable but they're wireless so just plug them in to charge. No batteries and no battery charging packs.. This means that the PS3 controller is SUPER light.

I'd say get the PS3 as it's starting to shine now above the 360! And whoever said menu design isn't important is an idiot. Menu design makes the 360, Navigation.. Looks.. Functionality.. Everything the 360 didn't have. The xbox live marketplace had TONS of downloads sure but they were all limited to a slow speed and took half an hour to find!

And you've got a mac! Who wants to give money to Microsoft? Heh, Kidding. They're alright those GUI-Stealing gits..

From James! :apple: